What's new

Nintendo DS revealed?

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
The PSP's discs are encased in a cart(possibly just for storage, I'm not sure) yes, but the media still must be spun to read the data, hence the shitty battery life. The DS has two media bays. One for GBA(yes, it's backward compatible :D!), and one for the DS carts which will easily hold 1 gigabit of memory. Both bays can be used at once which may mean some interesting addons and extra features in the future. The DS DOES have L and R trigger buttons, they are situated on the corners just like the SP. I'm glad to hear that you're going to be preordering it at EB, I've had my reserved for a few months now, I'm just glad to finally have some stuff to show customers!

sheik124

Emutalk Member
all i know is, sony will go the same path with psp like they did everything else, BUY PERIPHERALS. i really don't give a fuck about watching movies on the go (in a proprietary format i cannot watch anywhere else, fuck that) i don't care for a goddamn gps, could have got one for free with my pocket pc but i said no, playing music, don't care, you need a damn memory stick duo to save games (typical sony you need to buy peripherals approach, those shits are expensive) only thing i like is the design, and some of the games

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
sheik124 said:
all i know is, sony will go the same path with psp like they did everything else, BUY PERIPHERALS. i really don't give a fuck about watching movies on the go (in a proprietary format i cannot watch anywhere else, fuck that) i don't care for a goddamn gps, could have got one for free with my pocket pc but i said no, playing music, don't care, you need a damn memory stick duo to save games (typical sony you need to buy peripherals approach, those shits are expensive) only thing i like is the design, and some of the games

That's sony, they will sell u thousand of fucking extras and want ONLY your money... not more.
I never will support Sony, had a Playstation a long time ago but had hate this after some years...
Like nintendo and want 2 see the DS. Want 2 hold it in my hands... and don't want 2 have such expensive extras!

blizz

An interestling little titbit for those who didn't know already, both the DS and PSP games/demos on show were all emulated.

Talas

Son of the Sky
blizz said:
An interestling little titbit for those who didn't know already, both the DS and PSP games/demos on show were all emulated.

Is that so? Looks like a bright future for emulation in to come. :cool:

MasterPhW

blizz said:
How they are emulated? Are there any authors working on emulators?
And whats your news source? Don't understand! :crazy:

Clements

MasterPhW_DX said:
How they are emulated? Are there any authors working on emulators?
And whats your news source? Don't understand! :crazy:

That means emulators written by Sony and Nintendo. They have all the docs remember, all this shows is that emulation of these systems on other platforms is possible.

MasterPhW

Clements said:
That means emulators written by Sony and Nintendo. They have all the docs remember, all this shows is that emulation of these systems on other platforms is possible.
Shall I contact BigN64 and Sony 4 asking them wheather they give me the source of there emus? That would b a great idea, isn't it? :p
Looking forward 4 great coders 2 write great emulators 4 such great consoles... mean handheld... or multimedia mashines? (looking 2 Sony... :yucky:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
blizz said:

simulated, rather. Can you give us your source? And what hardware were they running on?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
well, i am just taking a guess and this so far unauthenticated piece of info, but nintendo may have been running their games on modified n64 hardware, and sony, well, i dunno, PS was too ugly graphics wise compared to this, and PS2 looks a tad better, only time will show. and the Super Mario Bros. DS (the 2D Platformer, not SuperMario64x4) was actually being run by a DS afaik

jollyrancher

The PSP's discs are encased in a cart(possibly just for storage, I'm not sure) yes, but the media still must be spun to read the data, hence the shitty battery life.

At E3 Sony said it will get 10 hours of battery life, then you just hook it back up to the charger. Works for me.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
jollyrancher said:
At E3 Sony said it will get 10 hours of battery life, then you just hook it back up to the charger. Works for me.

No, they said it'll be between 2 hours and 10 hours depending on how hardware is used. It means that you will get 10 hours only if the game is never accessing the media....

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hence if the game was so small it could load its entire self onto the systems onboard ram, which would give us OoT sized games, no room for chucking FMVs in there Square :)
hey, it rhymes!

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Hacktarux said:
No, they said it'll be between 2 hours and 10 hours depending on how hardware is used. It means that you will get 10 hours only if the game is never accessing the media....

Agreed. I'm guessing that the average battery life if someone is playing a game constantly will be around 4 hours max.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Tagrineth said:
There's a photograph a little up in the thread, smart guy. :flowers:
Uhhh right, but I'm too lazy to look for it. If the design if from the original GBA, then so it is, and there's no point trying to change it...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
Uhhh right, but I'm too lazy to look for it. If the design if from the original GBA, then so it is, and there's no point trying to change it...

Uh... okay?

GBA-SP has L and R buttons on the top left and top right corners of the casing, right where your index fingers can reach them just as easily as any console's controller since SNES.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Tagrineth said:
Uh... okay?

GBA-SP has L and R buttons on the top left and top right corners of the casing, right where your index fingers can reach them just as easily as any console's controller since SNES.
Uhhhh... right, then that must have slipped some pictures. Because all I've seen are triggers beneath the A & B buttons.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
Uhhhh... right, then that must have slipped some pictures. Because all I've seen are triggers beneath the A & B buttons.

I've never seen what you're talking about - in fact, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

gba_buttons.jpg

There's the picture with the triggers visible for you.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Start and Select are at the bottom of the front side of the GBA SP.

Incidently, I wonder if they'll move those for the NES GBA SP. :)