What's new

Nintendo DS revealed?

Gorxon

Administrator
Today an image of what's supposedly the DS popped up everywhere on the internet. Apperantly the first one to get it was USA Today.

nintendo_ds.jpg

I don't really know what to say, but that has got to be one of the ugliest handhelds I have seen. It's just too boring...

Hopefully it isn't real and we will all see a nice-looking DS tomorrow. Or that this one will grow on me when I get to see more pics (doubt it).
Another point is that the screens are supposedly larger than the GBA's (just a tiny bit though). Nice enough, but imagine the size of this monster...

Source:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/11/nintendo_ds_preview/

Last edited:

Clements

That indeed looks very ugly and surely can't be real. The D-Pad looks horrible for a start, the buttons look too small and too close together, it doesn't look like it was designed to be held by a human being! :p

The ergonomics on that are attrocious! But most of all, the design is bland, which is so unlike Nintendo who always seem to be good at giving hardware a sophisticated look and not just a massive black almost featureless slab.

2fast4u

ok, seeing the high-res picture i withdraw my statement, it does look real. still a butt-ugly mofo.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
it really looks like some of their old game&watch...
Yea it seems ugly but i'll wait until i have one in my hands, maybe pictures are giving a false idea...

Let's hope the games will help forgeting this design ;)

Clements

Clements said:
That indeed looks very ugly and surely can't be real. The D-Pad looks horrible for a start, the buttons look too small and too close together, it doesn't look like it was designed to be held by a human being! :p

The ergonomics on that are attrocious! But most of all, the design is bland, which is so unlike Nintendo who always seem to be good at giving hardware a sophisticated look and not just a massive black almost featureless slab.

I take all this back:

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hm... somehow I doubt that I will ever buy one of these. Dunno why, the whole design idea just doesnt seem to get me hooked.

OP
Gorxon

Gorxon

Administrator
Seein that picture Clements posted I really start to like it more. Doesn't come near the PSP in design though, but considering which games that are coming I think I might be ending up picking up both handhelds...my poor wallet.

Can't wait for FF:CC (yes, a new FF:CC game is coming to it) over inet :)

linemu

A system is only as good as the games on it, and it looks like this baby is gonna have some AWESOME games! Metroid prime:hunter looks really good, as do the other games. Plus 100 companies have signed on to make games for it, including EA, Square-enix, namco, sega, atari, capcom, etc. All of the hands on impressions I've read have loved the DS.

Anyone here seen all the stuff on the new realistic zelda game thats coming out for the 'cube? It looks AMAZING. cube.ign.com has a big article on it.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
linemu said:
A system is only as good as the games on it, and it looks like this baby is gonna have some AWESOME games! Metroid prime:hunter looks really good, as do the other games. Plus 100 companies have signed on to make games for it, including EA, Square-enix, namco, sega, atari, capcom, etc. All of the hands on impressions I've read have loved the DS.

Not to mention the fact that it will play Gameboy Advance Games. That's a huge initial library. No doubt Sony is scurrying around whipping their developers into gear to make sure their launch library saves par.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You guys are all insane, who cares what it looks like, I like what it does. If you want to find out a bit more about how awesome it might actually be (and see the new zelda NGC trailer) get this

http://www.sofuckingemo.co.uk/ds/nintendo.e3.may11th.2004.avi

The full Nintendo E3 Press Conference. Showing gameplay on the DS, as well as the new trailers, as well as about a zillion other cool things.

SPOILER ALERT:

The new zelda doesnt use the WW engine.