What's new

What's your favourite 16 bit-generation console?

What's your favourite 16-bit generation console?

• Genesis / Mega Drive

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Super Nintedo / Super Famicom

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Neogeo

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Alchy

Genesis for me. I love my Snes, but my best memories are with the Sonic/SOR/Treasure games. I wasn't much an RPG gamer at 9/10 years old, so the RPG's have only become attractive to me in retrospect.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Tagrineth said:
I have KOF '96 for Saturn, and '97 for PS1... it's just so slow paced and dull.
Good job there on judging a series of 10 games based on only 2. And not even the latest 2.

linker

Emutalk Member
Tagrineth said:
I have KOF '96 for Saturn, and '97 for PS1... it's just so slow paced and dull.

Then again, I never cared for 1v1 Fighters until I played SoulBlade ( / SoulCalibur / SoulCalibur II)... incidentally, those bore me to tears now...

I guess everything else just feels sluggish and drab compared to Guilty Gear X2 now, heh.

damn you are a boy

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
Good job there on judging a series of 10 games based on only 2. And not even the latest 2.

From what I've understood from Sega fans, '98 was an improvement, as was '99, while 2000 and 2001 both sucked. :flowers:

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Flash said:
Wasn't so bad. Neo-Geo is most powerful 16-bit console... It
And how about Last Blade 1,2 and Samurai Shodown series ?

Those were just examples. Everyone knows that most of the SNK series released to neogeo are masterpieces.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

DuDe said:

You're right. The KOF series is one of the bests 2D fighting games ever.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Tagrineth said:
From what I've understood from Sega fans, '98 was an improvement, as was '99, while 2000 and 2001 both sucked. :flowers:

You're quite wrong in that. KOF 2000 is in my opinion the best of them. In KOF '98 there were a lot of fighters available, but graphicly could be better. KOF '99 was quite better that '98 graphicly, but in the first one there are less fighters available.

ChronusDark

i personally loved the mega drive....they just kept coming out with things to improve it (Sega CD, 32X) and does anyone remember all the freaking controllers that came out for it..it was nuts they had one you could put on the floor and do punches and stuff and it would do it in game, and one that you didnt have to press the D buttons to move...you just had to hover your finger over it...
and sega had some of the best action/adventure games..SONIC, toejam & Earl was great everything was soo original,
granted SNES has some of my favorite RPGS but sonic was always my favorite

smegforbrain

I honestly can't pick one over the other... well, between the Genesis and SNES atleast. I've never played on a NeoGeo.

But, in talking purely about games, each system had their high points and low points. SNES had Squaresoft games, Genesis had the Shining games, etc etc. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Clements said:
The Snes could display more colours than a Mega drive and was more powerful. The Snes is my favourite since I prefer the games for the system, but the Mega Drive had some good stuff too. The two systems complemented each other extremely well and had their own selection of exclusive games.

Indeed the golden days of consoles. Everything after these two just sucked IMO, originality in most games just disappeared along with these consoles. It just became a big marketing sham after that, e.g. hoards of morons believing that the nintendo 64 meant it had 64-bit graphics, and marketing dicks going along with it, all the while the games suck :p

The only reason I think the xbox is good is because it does more than just being a console, but then again it isn't intended for that :happy:

Last edited:

scotty

The Great One
AlphaWolf said:
Indeed the golden days of consoles. Everything after these two just sucked IMO, originality in most games just disappeared along with these consoles. It just became a big marketing sham after that, e.g. hoards of morons believing that the nintendo 64 meant it had 64-bit graphics, and marketing dicks going along with it, all the while the games suck :p

The only reason I think the xbox is good is because it does more than just being a console, but then again it isn't intended for that :happy:

You have a real good point, I never realized this, most big companies care about their market share today. Back then, market share wasnt as big an issue, most companies were just starting to get big (ie. Square) Even before that (1980's) when consoles were just starting up, there wasnt anyone that was big in the market, and they didnt really care as much about how much of the market was theirs.

The one thing that I didnt like about the SNES now that I see everyones postings is the fact that Nintendo was (and still is today) "Kid friendly". That is the reason why Mortal Kombat fatalities were more gory in Sega systems and in the arcade games, and its not just that gmae, most fighting games did not have anything as gory as the releases on other systems. Kid Friendliness also is the reason why Lucasarts didnt publish their SCUMM games to SNES, after Nintendo turned Maniac Mansion backwards (due to the playboy posters and language in the original) when it was released for the NES in 1990. I would have probably killed to buy any SCUMM game if any of them were released for Snes, and get a SNES mouse to play it on (of course that never happened).

I still say that the SNES is still the best (and Sqaure is the main reason why in my book why I like it so much today)

blizz

I find it funny how people look back on 2D gaming as though those were the good old days, when in honesty there was a hell of a lot of crap produced compared to the amount of good. and some of those games which we may have at the time considered great haven't lasted all that well (for a start a lo of the racing games I played including Mario Kart on the SNES have gotten shittier, although I still like Micro Machines) don't get me wrong I have great memories of those games but I don't find them a joy to play any more, but some such as Chrono Trigger and Mario 3 have lasted well

Alchy

Yeah, really. Enough of this crap about how companies in the past didn't care about market share... you think Nintendo didn't care when the Genesis came out and starting robbing them of their market domination? They were just as profit-driven as they are today, they just didn't have as big an advertising budget. Face it: games companies don't exist to create good games, they exist to make money. They accomplish this by striving to make popular games (or making shitty ones and hoping people buy them anyway). It's business, money is the bottom line.

blizz

Alchy said:
Yeah, really. Enough of this crap about how companies in the past didn't care about market share... you think Nintendo didn't care when the Genesis came out and starting robbing them of their market domination? They were just as profit-driven as they are today, they just didn't have as big an advertising budget. Face it: games companies don't exist to create good games, they exist to make money. They accomplish this by striving to make popular games (or making shitty ones and hoping people buy them anyway). It's business, money is the bottom line.

AMEN

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
blizz said:
I find it funny how people look back on 2D gaming as though those were the good old days, when in honesty there was a hell of a lot of crap produced compared to the amount of good. and some of those games which we may have at the time considered great haven't lasted all that well (for a start a lo of the racing games I played including Mario Kart on the SNES have gotten shittier, although I still like Micro Machines) don't get me wrong I have great memories of those games but I don't find them a joy to play any more, but some such as Chrono Trigger and Mario 3 have lasted well

Alchy said:

Well, the point isn't that the games were 2D nor market share. The point is that games these days simply aren't nearly as original as they used to be. Back in the day, these games would last you at least a year or two (or three) before you quit playing it completely. Nowadays, it is extremely rare for me to find a game that I play for more than a month straight. The only exception to this is games that are produced unprofessionally, e.g. multiplayer mods, but they are more or less an "indie label" than something produced by "the videogame industry".

Last edited:

blizz

AlphaWolf said:
Well, the point isn't that the games were 2D nor market share. The point is that games these days simply aren't nearly as original as they used to be. Back in the day, these games would last you at least a year or two (or three) before you quit playing it completely. Nowadays, it is extremely rare for me to find a game that I play for more than a month straight. The only exception to this is games that are produced unprofessionally, e.g. multiplayer mods, but they are more or less an "indie label" than something produced by "the videogame industry".

I don't think all the games in those generations were original, there was a lot of copying going on, look at Sonic and Mario, and then look at crap like Bubsy, James Pond, Cool Spot and Earth Worm Jim

it may be more accurate to suggest that you've just reached a point where you're after a certain type of gameplay experience which only a limited number of developers cater too, since many kids these days have short attention spans, I am not talking about the length of a game but the amount of time and moreover skill it requires you to invest