What's new

animal forest translation?

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Well, I haven't really done much of anything. That's what's included in Zoinkity's patch. I thought it'd be somewhat of a morale boost to see the product after not having much of anything for a while.

Basically, what we've been trying to do for the last few months is put the Animal Crossing script into Dobutsu No Mori. Zoinkity seems to have succeeded in putting a good amount in so far, but there is still work to be done. For example, item names and catchphrases have yet to be inserted.

The goal now is editing the script so that mentions of things not in Dobutsu no Mori are removed. Such as the E-reader, the password system, Animal Island, etc.

That being said: I've been perusing the binaries. I've counted 5 binaries that are going to need work:

*mail_data
*message_data
*ps_data
*select_data
*string_data

(If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. But I've found references of stuff not in Dobutsu No Mori in those files in particular)

Now, the thing is: division of the binaries between interested parties. (Message_data is FOUR MEGS BIG)

Once we figure that out, we can make Lysol proud.

PS. Speaking of Lysol, I have attempted to contact him with news of new progress.

Heh heh. Thanks for helping out around here, man, seeing all of this really cheers me up. School is starting up for me again very soon but I figure I'll be able to deal with the two smallest text banks for now.

Now, the biggest issue would probably be keeping the text we finish fixing organized and synced among all other current users...

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
So if you finish this project, there will be a instruction manual, right?
default.jpg
"If you need instructions on how to play Animal Forest, YOU MUST DIE!"

(Just kidding. :p)

If anything, I own Animal Crossing for GCN and still have the manual- I'll probably just adapt that as necessary.

Nevexst

Mupen64Plus Groupie
I was reading Zoinkity's documentation on the off chance I could understand any of what it was saying, when this popped out at me

Oh, in case you've been wondering, these can be replaced with *any* rom with an interNES header...
8ACEA0 Clu Clu Land
8B5FD0 Donkey Kong
8B1800 Balloon Fight
8BA8C0 Donkey Kong Jr. Math
8BF5C0 Pinball
8C3D60 Tennis
8C8880 Golf

Now, I'm not really a rom hacker, but I have two questions

1. What is an InterNES header
2. How much work would have to go in to changing something like that.

Also, text is coming right along dandily.

Also, GoronKid, I imagine Zoinkity will have a method of expanding a rom and applying the patch all in one fell swoop.

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
Has it been 5 years already?
Sheesh, I wasn't much help either.

Well, all I know is that Animal Forest had a Sequel called Dobutsu No Mori +
Meaning Animal Forest +
Or for us, Animal Crossing 2, sadly, Animal Forest + is actually Animal Crossing GC, which means that in some kind of twisted way...maybe Animal Forest is really the prequel to Animal Crossing. Which adds more mystery to this project.

And Have you noticed that Quvack hasn't posted in like 20 pages? but there are still things that concern me more. Is that in some parts of Animal Forest, some things weren't used... I really need to know, how far are you guys in the translation? And I can help a little, there are at least 5 websites leading to your exact cause, ask them to assist you, and you might finish 10 fold!

Last edited:

zoinkity

Updat-o-rific

Updated the patch and data again. It is available at:
http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/AF/AFprojectDistro.zip

Here's the current state of the .ups:
  1. Text binaries moved to end of file and tables extended for these banks:
    • +message_data
    • +mail_data
    • +maila_data
    • +mailb_data
    • +mailc_data
    • +ps_data
    • +psz_data
    • +select_data
    • +string_data
    • +super_data
    • +superz_data
  2. npc_name_str moved; now allows 8-character names in conversation
  3. All 2-4 option select menus should allow options over 10-characters long
  4. Map screen labels transliterated, place names extended in length
  5. Rows are now labelled A-F, columns 1-5. Seems they used French script MT, italic ;*) I left the letters straight.
  6. Time and date revisions:
    • Midnight and noon are 12, not 0. Affects LR clock as well
    • Minutes and seconds returned from 7F commands are two byte when preceeded by a colon, ie. 11:02. When not preceeded by a colon, minutes and seconds return their normal value, ie. 2
    • Months and both kinds of days are now textual, ie. Tuesday, September 3rd
    • Date on message board is in USA order (MM/DD/YYYY)
  7. Fixed cursor and END block positioning:
    • Message Board
    • Gyroid Message
    • Writting Mail
  8. Fixed order of default superscript and postscript on mail messages. (As stupid as my text is)
  9. Switches to fixed-width mode when SP character used on name-entry pages.
  10. Added in support for new 7F commands; non-commands will probably be skipped over (big maybe here)
    • 7F70 added: forces next recalled string to be CAPITALIZED
    • 7F74 ported from AC: forces next recalled string to have a capitalized first letter, rest lowercase (Sentence Case)
    • 7F75 ported from AC: forces next recalled string lower case
    • 7F76 ported from AC: inserts either am or pm depending on time of day

There might be some other smaller fixes not listed either. Like before, the script loaded into the patch is the direct AC copy, mostly to prove the point that all this stuff can and (pending the horrible script errors) does function as such. It has been slightly editted to, for instance, split entries that were too large and would hang (message line>0x400). Hopefully the final script won't be a 1-1 copy of it. Please, pretty please, do an awesome translation of the original script.
This one is relatively stable. The mail saving system is known to be broken, but otherwise you can probably make it fairly far with this patch.

=_=

The provided resources have changed a bit. I'm no longer distributing the (most likely copyrighted) text binaries. Instead, a tool is provided to loot them from a rom image.
SYLKtoBIN and AFtoSYLK were corrected for several bugs. Also, the old command names were miserably mislabeled so many now are removed. The only mislabel that is retained is [name], which is used as a string variable. It is used to spout off an actor's name except in the case of the shrine (wishing well), where it is generically used as a variable. It comes up so often though it seemed okay to retain.
If you were using the old, Aug.2008 tools, convert your text to a binary, trash both tools, then replace with these. That should get around (most) problems.

Programs:
  • GetResources.exe will pull a huge clump of text out of your rom, already in the proper .bin + .tbl format. It does all the major text banks, as well as the npc names and items. It works on both a hacked and out-of-the-cart rom image.
  • InsertStuff.exe will take a list of the same binaries from above and insert them back into your rom. You can also tell it to only do certain ones.
  • AFtoSYLK.exe now recognises a few more VERIFIED commands, and no longer fusses with others. Use it to convert the script to a SYLK table.
  • SYLKtoBIN.exe recieved a major bug-fix. Now you can use binary commands with 23 as a value! Isn't that special?
  • extendo.exe is used to extend an N64 rom and unbyteswap it. Basically, gets it ready to apply the ups
  • AFvert.exe is actually older than the SYLK converters but was updated so you can view the original japanese text in an unstupid way. This is a +must+ for those of you working on the item list!
  • TGAtoN64.exe is a crappy little program (second one I ever wrote) that converts +certain+ targa files into +certain+ N64 image types. Its only redeeming factor is that it can diminish these larger targa types people insist on using now into 4-bit ia. It's not supposed to be that useful; its just in there to port some of the crazier image types. Don't compress your targas if you want to use them with this! In fact, try to get around it at all.
  • Now distributing three freely-available programs to aid in the whole re/compression side of things:
    • Zextract.exe by _Demo_: accepts a rom and spits out a decompressed copy of every Yaz0 binary inside of it.
    • Yaz0 Extractor.exe by Shevious: decompresses a single Yaz0 file to .bin
    • Yaz0 Encoder.exe, again by Shevious: compresses a file to Yaz0 format, ready to insert.
  • The obs-mac2.zip contains macetII, c\o Obsidian. It recalculates the checksum of any rom you throw at it. I have it associated with N64 roms, something like: "C:\N64\macetII.exe" "%1"
  • The ups.zip folder contains a copy of the ups patcher, care of whoever I thieved it from.
Other Resources:
  • Japanese Org Binaries and English New Binaries folders no longer exist. Extract the resources using GetResources.exe instead. (slightly more legal)
  • Documentation folder: a lot of new stuff. I wasn't paying attention when copying it in, so I don't know how much is new. That's mostly just notes anyway. The four that might be the most use are:
    • Index.txt: a partial rom index. It contains a list of what the known binaries are, and in some cases a breakdown of their data.
    • ROM ASM Correspondance.txt: ties together addresses in binaries to where their data loads in rdram, when possible.
    • Maximum Entry Sizes.txt: lists how large entries can be in certain text banks, the maximum number of entries in each bank, and the total size the text can be without further hacking. Technically the limits can be raised, but this lists the current values.
    • 7F Codes.txt: probably not a lot of use, but a working notepad for determining what the commands are and do. The command dump is the ASM used by each, or at least handles to it.
  • Resources folder: new binaries, some as .dat, others as .bin. Also contains a folder for images. Consult the Index.txt in the resources folder for more information on each.

So, what's left on the technical end of things? A lot of stuff.

Still left to do:
  1. Set cursor and END block positions on the rest of the message dialogs
  2. Add wrapping on messages based on width of line, not # chars. Incidentally, this would require redoing all the END blocks as well ;*)
  3. Remove 0x68 character limit on mail and message board messages. Then they might work again!
  4. Text balloons need variable width proportions
  5. Add an index for items and push string cap up
  6. Come up with some crazy scheme to allow large strings in all those other situations that need them that doesn't involve using an expansion pak
  7. Finalize font
  8. Find remaining textual images in compressed files

Oh, one more thing to mention when you write the scripts is that the most text that can appear in a single entry on message_txt is 1024 characters. The bank is sized to 0x400 and I wrote in something that makes it loop if you try to load in something larger.
If you ever get the problem of a blank screen of text with just an advance arrow, that's an entry that's too large. Usually they call entries with the 7F0E command, so match the numbers up and split the thing in half. That only works within the message_data bank though. This is mentioned in the 'maximum entry sizes.txt' file in the documentation.

Wow, that was fun, wasn't it? Have at it, and make an awesome script ;*)

-Zoinkity

Nevexst

Mupen64Plus Groupie
Hey Zoinkity, glad to see you around again.

Your link to the new tools and such are broken.

Uhhh yeah.

Quvack

And Have you noticed that Quvack hasn't posted in like 20 pages

Not much need for me around here anymore, Zoinkity and everyone else who has been working on their various projects has done much more than I had done initially.

I've dabbled on and off the project for the past while but it was always more of a personal learning thing than a fully fledged translation. I've been spending most of my time busy with real life, working on a few emulation related projects :p and yeah!

It's nice to see something like this going somewhere, I've always enjoyed this little game and it'll be nice to see the N64 version in English one of these days.

GoronKid64

Yes, I am going to enjoy this project aswell.
Does anyone have a PJ64 game save for this game past everything to where i can just buy stuff? I hate the first missions for Tom Nook ...

But, I hope this project goes good, it sounds like you are all trying hard and I want you to take your time working on this project.

zoinkity

Minor update, nothing much. Can't even remember what got worked in. Same place, link is one page back.
Oh, if you were to use the AC script, be aware that the first hundred entries or so are blank, but AF uses these. Most notably, these are used in the post office when making a new save file.
(Sorry, I'm on borrowed time...)

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Huh...? ...Oh, for Pete's sake... Man, I'm an idiot.
Here you go!

In other news, I finally got my soda!
... But now, I have a headache. Unyuuuu... :cry:
EDIT: For some reason, I can't get it at that location either...
Gimme a sec, I'll upload it temporarily to Sendspace or something.