What's new

any 1 want to help me make a nintendo cube emulatore?

lightknight

those who want to than just email..once i get few people to help me to statr working on it...i will be using Dev C+++ 4 to code it in windows!! and am thinking bout doeing it in direct x 8.1 and openglide!! and i want to sart a n64 emulatore with based on 1964 71 source code with Daedalus 0.08 Pre-1 Source code!! :cool: :D :D :D :cool:

plus the gamecube uses opengl...plus why devC? it has NO help files and i find its compiler results to be VERY confusing

OP
L

lightknight

i have been studying opengl in Dev C++ 4.0 at http://www.openrpgs.com/articles/

i have been learning a lot of C++ there ...
:D :cool:

i am learning alot in there Tutorials! you should check them out...if you to help me out..

mesman00

What's that...?
just a few questions....
if you have been learning from tutorials
1. how much do u know?
2. how long have you been programming?
3. do u konw any graphics programming, such as direct x, opengl
4. do u know any sound programming?
5. do u know anything about the gamecubes technical crap (processor and all that junk) there are very little docs released about it, if any

i hope you are pretty good at c++ and have been programming for quite some time, and havent just picked it up through tutorials over the last 6 months or so. otherwise you are in a lot of trouble. maybe you ought to start out with something less complex, like the NES, especially because it has alot of Doc's on it.

I don't mean to discourage you, but just to warn you

Cyberman

Yes indeed experience helps with writting software.

Now the manufacturer of the graphics chipset for it is ATI.. you won't find anything on ther WEBSITE other than.. they make it :)

I believe they are using a PowerPC with added instructions.. little red flags should go up with that because.. those added instructions can be anoying problems.

They have 24M of Static ram built in.. I think the processor speed is 200mhz.. a 200mhz PPC = 700mhz Athalon. That doesn't bode well. Especially since we are emulating the hardware for the graphics..

Maybe when we get pentiums going 4ghz?

Cyb

OP
L

lightknight

i was planing on doeing it like ultrahle, did the n64

just start with a few opcodes in the cpu for LUIGIS-MANSION! and heres the what i found out about the system so far

MPU("Microprocessor Unit")* Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko"

Manufacturing Process 0.18 micron IBM Copper Wire Technology

Clock Frequency 485 MHz

CPU Capacity 1125 Dmips (Dhrystone 2.1)

Internal Data Precision 32-bit Integer & 64-bit Floating-point

External Bus 1.3GB/second peak bandwidth (32-bit address space, 64-bit data bus 162 MHz clock)

Internal Cache L1: Instruction 32KB, Data 32KB (8 way) L2: 256KB (2 way)

System LSI Custom ATI/Nintendo "Flipper"

Manufacturing Process 0.18 micron NEC Embedded DRAM Process

Clock Frequency 162 MHz

Embedded Frame Buffer Approx. 2MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)

Embedded Texture Cache Approx. 1MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)

Texture Read Bandwidth 10.4GB/second (Peak)

Main Memory Bandwidth 2.6GB/second (Peak)

Pixel Depth 24-bit Color, 24-bit Z Buffer

Image Processing Functions Fog, Subpixel Anti-aliasing, 8 Hardware Lights, Alpha Blending, Virtual Texture Design, Multi-texturing, Bump Mapping, Environment Mapping, MIP Mapping, Bilinear Filtering, Trilinear Filtering, Anisotropic Filtering, Real-time Hardware Texture Decompression (S3TC), Real-time Decompression of Display List, HW 3-line Deflickering filter

The following sound related functions are all incorporated into the System LSI

Sound Processor custom Macronix 16-bit DSP

Instruction Memory 8KB RAM + 8KB ROM

Data Memory 8KB RAM + 4KB ROM

Clock Frequency 81 MHz

Performance 64 simultaneous channels, ADPCM encoding

Sampling Frequency 48KHz

System Floating-point Arithmetic Capability 10.5 GFLOPS (Peak) (MPU, Geometry Engine, HW Lighting Total)

Real-world polygon 6 million to 12 million polygons/second (Peak) (Assuming actual game conditions with complex models, fully textured, fully lit, etc.)

System Memory 40MB

Main Memory 24 MB MoSys 1T-SRAM, Approximately 10ns Sustainable Latency

A-Memory 16MB (81MHz DRAM)

Disc Drive CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) System

Average Access Time 128ms

Data Transfer Speed 16Mbps to 25Mbps

Media 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's
Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity

Input/Output Controller Port x4
Memory Card Slot x2
Analog AV Output x1
Digital AV Output x1
High-Speed Serial Port x2
High-speed Parallel Port x1

Power Supply AC Adapter DC12V x 3.5A
Main Unit Dimensions 4.3"(H) x 5.9"(W) x 6.3"(D)

:D :D

Cyberman

Actually you start out with your basic PPC instruction set and find out what forces an exception when decoded. :)
The PPC might be easier to decode than most CPU's I don't know but IBM probably has the opcode map on the WEB site somewhere. I would start with that. I expect implementing illegal opcode exception handling will find the opcodes that are NEW :)
In all likely hood those are relating to 3d geometry transformations and other useful 3d primitives possibly some audio type things but if there is a DSP I suspect that will handle the bulk of the audio fun. IE MP3 decoding ET AL.

Cyb

dixon

white trash , whore
not to put you down or anything, lightknight, but i don't think anybody is going to take you seriously. the best thing to do, if you are going to take it seriously, is to get yourself some VERY GOOD programmers (u will need to show them ur work for them to work with you), and stay quiet for about a year. In that time, you should have had enough time to start the very basics of emulating a part of the gamecube.

just a little word of advice ;)

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Well, I will be able to donate my services... I know Much about Microprosessors... I am learing C++ slowly, I code in Microsoft Visual Basic 6... I think it will be possible mostly because of the hardware... What do you think?

Azimer

Emulator Developer
If you find a NGC devkit, let me know... Then perhaps I might be interested in helping you port.
( I just really want the devkit :) )

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Lightknight I don't mean this to discourage you but you should first start with something which isn't as complicated as a N64 or a Gamecube the best thing you can do is to start developing a NES or GB(C) emulator which are fairly easy to develop comparing it to a Gamecube or an N64.I say this because you first got to learn the basics of development/codingthen after you know the basics you could always go even further and take a harder test like a Gamecube or N64 emu but in the mean time work on something smaller like a GB emu (I myself have started learnig C , C++ about a year ago and have been using it since seven months to develop a GB emu which I'm gonna re-release on 01/01/2002
P.S I'm making really great progress so I might throw in some new features (maybe even GBC emulation caus I tried to play Pokemon Silver on the emu and it boots up runs the demo but there are still some GFX bugs I need to get rid of but if lucky you'll see a new GB and GBC emu being released instead of a GB emu).

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Azimer said:
If you find a NGC devkit, let me know... Then perhaps I might be interested in helping you port.
( I just really want the devkit :) )

Hmmm... some how I can't see that happening soon :)

Cyberman

Yeah the NGC Dev kit would make it possible.
It's librarys and header files are the key to emulating it :)

Cyb

OP
L

lightknight

where whould be a good place to start looking for infor. about NGC Dev kit ? and any

places to start at?:cool: :cool: the key to emulat it is in the power of the software!!!!:D :cool:

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
It will be hard to make such a thing possible seeing that the GC uses mini-DVD's which are also protected by a little sort of points on the bottom side of the disc.So this will make rom dumping impossible in my opinion.It might be able to make backups of the GC games but this will need mini-DVD's or normal DVD's and a DVD writer which are really quite expensive.

But if you (lightknight) manage to get a NGC devkit (not likely) I will offer my services to help you make a port.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Zero said:
It will be hard to make such a thing possible seeing that the GC uses mini-DVD's which are also protected by a little sort of points on the bottom side of the disc.So this will make rom dumping impossible in my opinion.It might be able to make backups of the GC games but this will need mini-DVD's or normal DVD's and a DVD writer which are really quite expensive.

But if you (lightknight) manage to get a NGC devkit (not likely) I will offer my services to help you make a port.

The easiest way to make dumps of GC games would probably be to use the serial port that it has to connect it to a PC. Apparently there is already something which plugs into the port that allows you to play burnt games on it (I assume that the games would be burnt onto a DVD, and that would be the most expensive part.)

Cyberman

I hope the serial port on that thing is VERY Fast because you might be taking a LONG nap while it copies the data :)

if it plays Mini DVD's how do you make it the right size? trimmer? :)

Cyb