What's new

N64 Glide Plugin. part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
Ok, well, I fixed the mario kart thing. It was using FORCE_BL with full alpha.

Link is still translucent, though. He uses the ALPHA_CVG_SEL flag, but I'm not sure what that does. The docs barely have anything on it. They say:

ALPHA_CVG_SEL
use cvg (or alpha*cvg) for pixel alpha

:(

I'm not exactly sure what it's trying to do, but I think that's what causes link to be transparent, since the flags on the castle in mario64 have this problem too (shaded color) and have this flag.

Hrmmm I'm not sure what CVG is.. but
ALPHA_CVG_SEL is used in a number of things I've noticed for example:
#define RM_AA_ZB_OPA_SURF(clk) \
AA_EN | Z_CMP | Z_UPD | IM_RD | CVG_DST_CLAMP | \
ZMODE_OPA | ALPHA_CVG_SEL | \
GBL_c##clk(G_BL_CLR_IN, G_BL_A_IN, G_BL_CLR_MEM, G_BL_A_MEM)

It's used in the macros in GBI.h refering to render mode. CVG * ALPHA gives you the alpha value? CVG might be a bit that's toggled or something elsewhere. IE 0 * ALPHA = 0 1 * ALPHA = ALPHA .. etc. Might he used for turning on and off opacity on a texture.

Dave2001

Hey, Ogy, you have the 'b' and the 'd' switched in the CRC for Waverace 64. I fixed it in my version, I just want to make sure you fix it in yours. And you also have the ucode # wrong, it should be 3 instead of 1.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Congrats to Dave2001 for the great progress is such little time! Even though I don't have a Glide compatible card, I'm enjoying watching this plugin progess.

I started my own N64 GFX plugin once (got Mario looking half-way decent), but I got stuck cause I didn't have enough info. I never saw this "gbi.h" and the documentation you've referred to. Could you point me to where I can get it?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Orkin

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Hey Dave on spring break I assume (what's a break?)
Anyhow what documentation are you using to get ALPHA_CVG_SEL means Alpha = Alpha * CVG? I'm curious about this is all :)
I've been reminiscing my PSX GFX experiments (heh thank God GTE code is done by the EMU and not the plugin is all I can say!).

You got me curious darn it! :)

I probably should get around to working on that MESA GL version of the GPU I just found that the PSX one was more fun :) (fewer headaches too).

Cyb

Dave2001

Well, Cyberman or Icepir8, whoever suggested it, the alpha on/off thing almost worked. It worked for Zelda, but not completely for Quest64. Also, I'm getting 4-bit Color Indexed (palettized) textures with this flag. See brian's hair and the person's face in the screenshot below. (Brian's hair is 4-bit Intensity, person's face is 4-bit CI, which doesn't do anything on ALPHA_CVG_SEL yet, hence it's completely transparent)

(no, i'm not on spring break yet, that's the week after this next one)

Dave2001

Ya know what, I think that ALPHA_CVG_SEL means full alpha, just like I originally said. There is only 1 thing that doesn't work, and I need another plugin author to verify this: open zelda, go up to a sign, so that it has a green arrow above it. Is the # of rupees texrect now ALPHA_CVG_SEL or not? I get it so that it changes from FORCE_BL to ALPHA_CVG_SEL, which I believe is incorrect.

[edit]
or actually... texrects probably don't use it. BUT, link's shadow always seems to be ALPHA_CVG_SEL, so someone please verify that.

[edit 2]
no, I change my mind about texrects now, one of the objects that doesn't work is a quad.

Last edited:

Dave2001

Here's what I'm talking about. When I go up to a sign and the green arrow appears, the status now has the ALPHA_CVG_SEL that the green arrow set.

[edit] oops... forgot to scale the image down to a reasonable size

[edit 2] WAIT!!! I just found a suspicious line... SETOTHERMODE: IGNORED. Maybe there's another method of setting the mode I'm not yet handling.

Last edited:

Dave2001

OMG!!! YES!!! The transparency problem is finally fixed. ALPHA_CVG_SEL means use full alpha (totally opaque), and I just wasn't handling the general setothermode command. Now it works in all known cases of transparency :D

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
OMG!!! YES!!! The transparency problem is finally fixed. ALPHA_CVG_SEL means use full alpha (totally opaque), and I just wasn't handling the general setothermode command. Now it works in all known cases of transparency :D

Cool.. you should talk to yourself more often! ;)

I kind of though the ALPHA_CVG_SEL ment select alpha.

Have you checked other programs with your current fix?
(IE other than Zelda) even one that doesn't work (grin) in anycase I'm glad you've had sucess.. the only thing as bad as handling low level graphics is handling modem protocols I can think of :)

Cyb

EeeK

Oh yeah...I can't wait for the next release!!! But Dave take your time to write, good stuff need time...

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Quvack said:
It runs very well on this machine with 1964 ;)

Oooooohhh, yeah! Sweeeeet!!! Have you tried 1964 0.8.0?

Cyberman said:
Cool.. you should talk to yourself more often! ;)

Yeah, I think so too.

I've got a question: Did the Voodoo 5 5500 have TV-out? I've been looking at some shots from eBay, but I can't see either way. If not, were there any Voodoo cards (3, 4, or 5) that did?

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
err... w8 a min.... i think i do have a v3 w/tv out, yea i think that comp is at my uncles place...

Gideon007

ok, enough of this, let's return to the main topic! Dave's beautiful glide plug-in!!!
Keep it going! (I'm still hoping for the next release but also waiting patiently :))

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
OK, let's see here... Transluceny fixed, many more games running, lighting probs fixed, runs with 1964... I think this next release should be version 1.0! :D What about everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.