What's new

Zelda and UHLE (end-of-game bug)

straight

I thought I had this all figured out.

I was playing through Zelda OoT using UHLE Alpha and it it was running great on my machine. I knew there was a bug near the end involving Princess Zelda unlocking a barred door for you and that you needed a special bug-fixed version of UHLE. But I wanted to use UHLE Alpha because of the support for controller plugins.

So I tested, and it seemed that the "ZeldaUHLE" would load save states from UHLE Alpha just fine. So I figured I could just use UHLE Alpha until I got to the end then just load my game in the ZeldaUHLE.

Well, I got to the bug, the timed sequence where they're trying to escape from the collapsing tower, and the saved game loads fine in ZeldaUHLE, but the bug is still there, even when I'm runing the bug-fixed UHLE.exe.

Does anyone here know enough about how this bug works to know if my scheme has a chance of working? Maybe if I go back to an earlier saved game and play with the ZeldaUHLE it would work when I get to the bug? Any idea how far back I'd have to go? Or will it only work if I start a new game fresh in ZeldaUHLE?

Failing that, is there any way to cheat or otherwise get past this bug so I can see the end of the game?

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Looks to me like you're screwed. Play something else until you can get a real PC and use 1964/Project 64/Mupen64/Daedalus/[Insert any other good N64 emulators here].

Oh yeah, and you'll probably have to start all over again to get rid of the bug.

Lizard Blade

Lillymon said:
Looks to me like you're screwed. Play something else until you can get a real PC and use 1964/Project 64/Mupen64/Daedalus/[Insert any other good N64 emulators here].

Thats not even worth saying, as its the obvious answer to everything.

Anyway, you might want to try using a native save instead of state in the patched Uhle, although itll take you a bit of time to get back to Zelda, its easier than starting over. You might also want to try UltraHLE 2064, which also has plugin support, and should run just as well as other UHLE variants, but it is far more compatable than most.

skull1

im9i7
straight said:
I thought I had this all figured out.

I was playing through Zelda OoT using UHLE Alpha and it it was running great on my machine. I knew there was a bug near the end involving Princess Zelda unlocking a barred door for you and that you needed a special bug-fixed version of UHLE. But I wanted to use UHLE Alpha because of the support for controller plugins.

So I tested, and it seemed that the "ZeldaUHLE" would load save states from UHLE Alpha just fine. So I figured I could just use UHLE Alpha until I got to the end then just load my game in the ZeldaUHLE.

Well, I got to the bug, the timed sequence where they're trying to escape from the collapsing tower, and the saved game loads fine in ZeldaUHLE, but the bug is still there, even when I'm runing the bug-fixed UHLE.exe.

Does anyone here know enough about how this bug works to know if my scheme has a chance of working? Maybe if I go back to an earlier saved game and play with the ZeldaUHLE it would work when I get to the bug? Any idea how far back I'd have to go? Or will it only work if I start a new game fresh in ZeldaUHLE?

Failing that, is there any way to cheat or otherwise get past this bug so I can see the end of the game?

first you need the infinite time cheat. try google to fnd. then when you have enabled the cheat just go back up the tower then down again. zelda will now open the freakin' door for you.

afaik, the ZeldaUHLE is for viewing the ending.

edit:

from the official ultrahle ini (1.0.27)
//patch= -1, 8011b9a5, byte 180 // Infinite Time "End Game Time Sequence"

visit smiff.clara.net for more info on n64 emulation

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
The infinite time cheat is in the uHLE cheats file. Just enable it, and fall off the screen or leave and reenter after Zelda "opened" the gate and it'll be opened for real. You need infinite time for this to work without running out of time. I don't know why this simple solution is never mentioned or turned on by default...

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Don't you just hate emulator bugs :)
I remember back when a common bug in NES emulators was the floating mario caused by improper ADC opcode.

OP
straight

straight

Thank you to nephalim and skull1 for the help, (Lizard Blade, UHLE doesn't support native saves, but thanks for the suggestion).

The time cheat worked just fine (wow, I might have needed it anyway, not sure I could have made it in 2.5 minutes!). I initially tried the generic infinite time cheat in the .ini file, but that didn't work. It was necessary to use the "end game" time cheat, as skull1 suggested.

Wanting to avoid spoilers, I hadn't read carefully about the different bugs, and assumed this is the one the fixed UHLE.exe addressed. I'm glad there was a solution for this problem too!

Wow, what a great, great game. I can only think of a handful of games I've enjoyed as much as this one.

And Lillymon, I get a perverse satisfaction out of being able to emulate Zelda on a computer I bought the same year the original game came out (back when "N64 emulation" was a joke for teasing newbies and seemed less likely than Gamecube emulation seems now). I'm betting my computer will be plenty powerful enough for Zelda MM once 1964 1.0 comes out.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I doubt it, your video card is too old. believe me, when people say cpu is the bottleneck the video card can be as well, as when I tried to run banjo-kazooie on my 1.2ghz system with that very same video card, it was Very slow, yes 1200mhz wasn't good enough with that card, and I was using 1964.

exchanged it for a geforce and it was fine, so that pretty much proves my point :)

Whether or not your system is powerful enough to run the core it still has to be powerful enough to run the video plugin and sound plugin i'm afraid, which are seperate from the emu core.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
hmm, didn't think of that... heh. (mind isn't working properly today...)
back then though (when i had a voodoo3), glide64 wasn't as good as it is today... the sound plugin is what i believe would slow down straight for sure. Though, perhaps not, Schibo has done alot of work in that department, and he usually does a great job of optimizing.

I Apoligize for making no sense :)

Last edited:
OP
straight

straight

Sayargh said:
I doubt it, your video card is too old. believe me, when people say cpu is the bottleneck the video card can be as well, as when I tried to run banjo-kazooie on my 1.2ghz system with that very same video card, it was Very slow, yes 1200mhz wasn't good enough with that card, and I was using 1964.

Actually, with 1964, Glide64, and NeTo's HiP, I get about 20-30 fps in Banjo-Kazooie running at 1024x768. I'm pretty sure the CPU is the bottleneck for most emulated N64 games except maybe F-Zero (that's the only one where reducing the resolution increases the fps).

Zelda MM runs at about 15-20 fps on my system (at least the first bit does), so I'm guessing it will be pretty playable when 1964 1.0 comes out. (Also the next version of Glide64 sound like it's going to be pretty good too.)