What's new

wow is there any way to update 32 bit os to 64 bit os

VT-Vincent

VT Emulation Founder
Well, in regards to the previous post, is there any particular reason you want to move to a 64-bit OS? At the moment, there's little to no performance benefit from doing so, and the only real benefit that is gained is the ability to fully utilize 4GBs of RAM and higher. It's also worth mentioning that driver and some application compatibility is significantly lower on 64-bit variants of Windows.

But, to answer your question... There is no direct way to perform an upgrade install (an installation that keeps all of your programs and files intact) from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows. To move to a 64-bit OS, you would need to format your OS partition and perform a clean install of Windows.

As a previous post suggested, you can purchase an OEM copy of the operating system to perform this clean install, but there is also a second option. If you are using a computer from any major manufacturer (Dell, HP/Compaq, Sony, Gateway/eMachines/Acer, Lenovo, Everex, etc.) that ships with a "pre-activated" copy of Windows, you can back up that activation using a third party program, install a 64-bit version of the same OS using a 64-bit "Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade" (purchasable for a small fee from Microsoft) DVD and finally use the previously mentioned program to restore the activation. If available, this is the most affordable option, and it's the option I used to take my laptop to Vista Home Premium 64-bit. If this option applies to you, I would recommend reading the following thread, it details the process (the post is specific to Lenovo computers, but it applies to any pre-activated version of Windows):

Moving a Pre-Activation: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783

Lastly, I would highly recommend doing some research before attempting to change your OS. I would make sure that all of your hardware and software is fully compatible, and I would also make sure that you will actually see some tangible benefit from the upgrade.

Hope this helps!

chiklit

Performance is generally higher on 64-bit apps that use a lot of mathematics sort of processing since they can crunch more numbers, this being emulations, 3d-modeling programs, video encoders, etc. You're not going to see much of any benefit on 32-bit programs or even 64-bit programs that don't do anything 64-bit.

It's sort of like with multi-threaded applications, if a program isn't multithreaded it's not going to run any faster on a dual-core CPU than it would on a single-core CPU of the same speed, though you can run more than one copy of the program without it slowing down. Whereas multithreaded apps that can take advantage of both cores at the same time will see a speed increase.

I'd also like to note that with Vista x64 out now, driver compatibility (at least on newer devices) is much better than it used to be with XP x64. The only problem I've had is that my ATi HDTV Wonder doesn't work anymore, because they dropped support for it before making full Vista drivers.

:geek:

pcuser2008

PC Guru
i really think this is retarded that you have to have a 64 bit os to make it faster

the intel 8080 "8 bit" has an address space of 256 bytes
the intel 8086 "16 bit" has an address space of 65 536 bytes
the intel 80386 "32 bit" has an address space of 4,294,967,295 bytes
the Athlon 64" "64bit has an address spacce of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes

i worked this out in a calculator you do 32 to the power of 2 = the 32bit address space.:batman:

LelandStanford

XP 64 starts up so much faster than XP 32. 3D rendering is much faster for me on 64 bit, simply because I have a Turbocache card.

Tunisao

well
but with other application he is good or not?

i willl install windows vista 64 he is good idea or not please?