What's new

windows update????

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
when i try to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
it well not install so i cant get service pack 3 for windows xp

smcd

Gotta ask... is your XP installation legitimate? Also, you are using Internet Explorer to access windows update, right? Might also want to check your ActiveX settings just in case it's accidentally blocking it.

Last edited:
OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
nope service pack 3 is out i went over to my friends i saw him downloading it and yes i use internet explaorer but how do you check your ActiveX settings

Martin

Administrator
Are you sure? I thought only SP2 for XP was out. Maybe your friend was getting SP3 for Windows 2000, or SP3 for Office XP. :p

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
nope i was right there and it said service pack 3 but it might be beta softwere i don't no.. just to tell you im blind in my right eye but we both saw it and when he installed it his computer was speedy as hell........ but can anyone still tell me how to change my activex settings:yucky:

Last edited:

Clements

I've seen no sign of SP3 for Windows XP yet and I go to various tech websites on a regular basis - unless you are talking about IE7 Beta, but that is illegal to have unless you are a Microsoft Beta tester, and is not really a service pack.

SP3 is rumoured to be in development and arrive shortly before Longhorn in 2006 according to The Inquirer, and there is no beta available. You must be mistaken.

You can change ActiveX settings in Internet Options, Security tab, Custom Level. Or you can use a non-garbage browser such as Firefox or Opera.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
I recently downloaded and installed SP3 for Microsoft OFFICE XP. Are you sure it wasn't that?

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
well i can download now thanks to my mate then after installing updates i could not find service pack 3 and then i thout WTF???? then i went over to my mates to find that his pc is Microsoft OFFICE XP so all of you where right

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Clements said:
I've seen no sign of SP3 for Windows XP yet and I go to various tech websites on a regular basis - unless you are talking about IE7 Beta, but that is illegal to have unless you are a Microsoft Beta tester, and is not really a service pack.

SP3 is rumoured to be in development and arrive shortly before Longhorn in 2006 according to The Inquirer, and there is no beta available. You must be mistaken.

You can change ActiveX settings in Internet Options, Security tab, Custom Level. Or you can use a non-garbage browser such as Firefox or Opera.

Changing the internet options works, but i can't get it to work with firefox, even if i use useragent

milen

You can't get it to work with firefox because FIREFOX is not made by microsoft and you know who likes competition(Yes acivex, but thats not a reason, it's a solution). And i have tried IE7beta it's the worst thing i have ever seen. The next Windows will cut opengl to the minimum too because it's too a competition. Maybe other good products will not work too :)

Clements

arnalion said:
Changing the internet options works, but i can't get it to work with firefox, even if i use useragent

That's the point, ActiveX is a potential security risk, so instead of disabling it in IE, you can just use FF or Opera instead. There is an ActiveX extension for Firefox, but who needs it when hardly any legit sites make use of it and can be the source of malware?

GCFreak

Chibi Nick said:
Hmmm his pc is OFFICE XP? Well my pc is WINZIP.

lol, Office XP is business software which contains word and publisher etc...
WinZip is a Compression Program..
They arent Operating Systems, WinXP is but they arent :happy: