What's new

Will Gametap's DC emulator render Chankast extinct?

isamu

With Gametap's new broadband gaming service, we will alledgedly be able to play 100% accurate Dreamcast games. They have said that this emu they're using will be so authentic as to be indistinguishable from the actual console. Only catch is all the DC games won't be available at launch....it'll only be on a per game basis.

So, do you feel that once Gametap's DC emu has a large enough DC game library, the Chankast emu will be pretty much useless? I mean, who in their right mind would continue using Chankast once another emu that plays DC games at 100% full speed exists?

GCFreak

It takes a couple of years to emulate most games at 100%, Honestly, I have never heard of an emulator that plays ALL games at 100% on the first release. Unless the coder is an evil freak and has years of experience :D

ADnova

isamu said:
I mean, who in their right mind would continue using Chankast once another emu that plays DC games at 100% full speed exists?

People who don't want to pay a monthly fee, I guess. Besides, emulation for other systems that they offer is still alive and well, so it's not as if this Gametap site has rendered emulation obsolete. Of course, the difference there is that other emulators are at or near 100% accuracy.

This is the first I've heard of Gametap, and it certainly sounds promising, but I won't be first in line to try it out.

me83

interesting. so this Gametap can practically emulate anything and you have to pay a low monthly fee? is this even legal? how can they get away with this and not get sued?

zilmar

Emulator Developer
me83 said:
interesting. so this Gametap can practically emulate anything and you have to pay a low monthly fee? is this even legal? how can they get away with this and not get sued?
Easy they have legal rights to all the games they have, hence why they do not have nintendo games. Nintedo is waiting for there new conole for that.