What's new

Wii Emulation?

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
So I've sorta' been waiting for someone else to bring it up, but it hasn't happened (as far as I can tell).

Let me first say that emulation has come a long way since when I started following it it and SNES emu was awesome (not that it isn't anymore!). We can do things that I, for one, think are amazing; texture dumping/replacing(N64), netplay (GBA/GB/N64/others?), model extraction (GC/N64/others?) to name a few.

I feel it's only a matter of time before Gamecube emulation gets to the point where almost every game is playable at nearly perfect FPS, and the dude's working on the DS are making great progress. So what's next for Nintendo emulation?

Well... the Wii. But first of all; is it even possible to any extent of the imagination?

Discuss.

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Well, the first problem that comes to mind is the motion censor bit...Unless somebody makes something similar to the adaptoid, that seems practically impossible. But to emulate the games themself doesn´t seem impossible, people say that the graphics are just a BIT better then the gc. (Something i disagree with. I notice all the details, how sharp everything is.)

Btw, getting it next Wiik !!

Toasty

Sony battery
As a general rule, the host platform needs to be about an order of magnitude more powerful than the the emulated platform to achieve a reasonable speed of emulation (assuming they are different architectures). So, I'd say when the 7.2GHz CPUs are hitting the market is when you'll see Wii emulation take off.

NaSeR

Spanish Member
What's the point of emulating a console you can still buy everywhere? Even if it could be done Nintendo wouldn't release games for his console because nobody buy it, so what's the point?

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Aren´t we talking about emulation in general here? Lol. Actually, you can´t get Wii anywhere here...Because it is so DAMN popular.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This is a little silly to talk about considering theres not a playable Gamecube emulator yet, PS2 emulation is closer to it... BUT... once GC emulation is nailed the Wii should be a lot easier (hardware at least) considering it is very similar to the gamecube, just a little faster.

Bugger Wii emulation, what about emulating an Emu bird.

Last edited:
OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
What's the point of emulating a console you can still buy everywhere? Even if it could be done Nintendo wouldn't release games for his console because nobody buy it, so what's the point?
You misread me! I am not interested in a Wii emulator at the present time at all, I'm just wondering what people think of the idea in general, where people think it would be difficult... simple speculation and discussion, man.

By no means was I saying "HEY GUYS, DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD MAKE A WII EMULATOR RIGHT NOW SO THAT I CAN PIRATE GAMES FOR IT AND SPEND LESS MONEY?!"

Not even a little bit. I have a Wii, even!

A.I.

Banned
Bugger Wii emulation, what about emulating an Emu bird.

I already have one as a pet. They're native to where i live. ;)

But seriously, even if the Wii could be successfully emulated, playing it without the motion sensor remote would be rather pointless. It would be like playing the N64 with an old Atari joystick.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Well, the first problem that comes to mind is the motion censor bit...Unless somebody makes something similar to the adaptoid, that seems practically impossible. But to emulate the games themself doesn´t seem impossible, people say that the graphics are just a BIT better then the gc. (Something i disagree with. I notice all the details, how sharp everything is.)

LiquidIce's Nintendo Wii Hacks: HOWTO: Use the Wii-Mote In Windows as your Mouse

already done, windows can use the wii controler with some hacking, via Bluetooth.

BlueFalcon7

Well, for an emulator to be made, isos have to exist. I wont go into details on it, but if the methods Im thinking of will work, we shouldnt see any problems. Though it might be more like xbox emulation where it emulates a folder of the iso instead of an iso. Wii isos will exist soon.

Next thing that needs to happen is we need coders willing to do it.

I do however know that it will just be building on GC emulation. As the x86 architecture develops we will most likely have RISC-like instruction sets. Either it will be added with future streaming SIMD extensions, or it will be a whole new thing. I read that the core 2 duo actually decompiles its CISC instructions, and processes them like RISC instructions. Even though endianness is still a problem, the instructions will be less of an issue as x86 develops. All we need then is people willing to make those optimizations.

If you didnt understand that all, Wii emulation has a future, and so does GC. Most of the people think that since the Dolphin is such a slow emulator, that Power PC emulation is just slow. If you really look at what optimizations can be done, there is hope. Wii is just about 150% the power of the CPU, so the biggest problem is getting that Wii-mote emulated. Some games just use the regular GC controller, or the regular wired Wii controller, so Wii-Mote doesnt have to be implemented for a while.

Edit: I heard something about what Zilmar posted, but I didnt know if it was true or not. Just goes to show you that just about anything is possible with PCs.

Last edited:
OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Looks like it's reading the accelerometer for mouse movement. That isn't quite the same as using it as a a direct point-and-click sort of thing.

I also assume that it isn't reading the Z axis data (the remote needs two infrared lights in front of it before it even outputs data of the axis variety that means anything.) In fact, since it's using the accelerometer for movement, I assume that it isn't reading X or Y, either (which I assume also need infrareds to position themselves).

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Well, making a Wii emulator is pretty feasible, considering the information that's available, and the fact that it isn't too far off from GC. However, there is no point at least until Gamecube emulation is perfected, and there is a reasonable method for dumping Wii discs.

jairolas

sup, me and my friends are making a wii emu, is still beta but you gonna be able to download next week, i will post here. :batman:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I do however know that it will just be building on GC emulation. As the x86 architecture develops we will most likely have RISC-like instruction sets. Either it will be added with future streaming SIMD extensions, or it will be a whole new thing. I read that the core 2 duo actually decompiles its CISC instructions, and processes them like RISC instructions. Even though endianness is still a problem, the instructions will be less of an issue as x86 develops. All we need then is people willing to make those optimizations.
I know that both Intel & AMD processors processes RISC instructions internally. I believe this is how the x86 architecture works. It takes CISC instructions and breaks them apart to several RISC instructions internally and executes them.

If you didnt understand that all, Wii emulation has a future, and so does GC. Most of the people think that since the Dolphin is such a slow emulator, that Power PC emulation is just slow. If you really look at what optimizations can be done, there is hope. Wii is just about 150% the power of the CPU, so the biggest problem is getting that Wii-mote emulated. Some games just use the regular GC controller, or the regular wired Wii controller, so Wii-Mote doesnt have to be implemented for a while.
That's not true. The processor is about 180%-190% faster and then we're not taking into consideration the more RAM and clock speed of the GPU, so it's about fair to say it's twice as powerful, or more, than the gamecube.

And yes, people HAVE found ways to use the Wiimote with the PC in several ways.
As for Wii isos... I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing them soon, seeing as Nintendo pretty much just patched some old security holes in their old encryption. It's not really more secure, really... they just changed a few things.

AndrevS

Both GameCube and Wii use PowerPC CPU's
Would it be more efficient to use a PowerPC host machine to run better emulations?
like PowerPC MACs, PegasosPPC based machines, etc.

Alternatively, PPC emulation on x86 hardware, would code from the PearPC ( PPC-MAC emulator for x86 hardware ) be useful to speed up the PPC emulation?

Miles Lombardi

I have a Wii ISO. Heh. Now I shall procede to write an emulator. I'll be back in a couple of days, having failed. I'll be miserable.

My PC might've blown up.

Best to schedule a medical emergency.