What's new

Why is there poor "foreground" resolution?

Shpongled

News Junkie
I was wondering if there is a way to increase the graphical quality of things that are uh, for lack of a better term, in the "foreground."

Here are some attached examples.

Notice Princess' outline, also the outline of the star and zero in the other attachment.

I don't know if there is a way to fix it, but I'm wondering if anyone can educate me, in laymans terms, why it isn't possible to make that look better. I know this isn't a classroom, but I'm sure there's lots of bored people that want to spread the knowledge. :p

I made the pics small for those of us on 56k or lower connections. :paperbag:

Clements

When 2D stuff is enlarged from the N64's native resolution, you get those angular edges. They can be cleaned up by using a plugin with a filter such as Rice's Video or Direct64. Jabo's filtered rendering often doesn't blur certain edges but it helps.

OP
Shpongled

Shpongled

News Junkie
I see a few "filter" functions in the "Video Settings..." menu, so I'll change them around and see what happens.

Do you happen to know which filters should be tweaked? I use DirectX, don't seem to be able to use OpenGL, unfortunately.

[EDIT: Changed around a ton of settings and can't seem to find better results for 2D graphics. Any suggestions for 2D graphic enhancement with Rice Video 6.0.0c, please please let me know.]

Last edited: