What's new

Why does Azimer's SPU plugin bog down the framerate?

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Okay, slight problem (and when I say slight, I mean "annoying") with this particular SPU plugin with 1964. One thing, some games, especially Goemon's Great Adventure, run 25% slower (45/60) fps. How sound plugins affect graphics, I'll never know. I doubt my PC's specs are too slow, but maybe my videocard has something to do with it being slow?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Simply put: Its what the plugin thinks is the correct sync for the audio/video to be. The Audio plugin has control of how fast the video goes.

Clements

This also happens with Jabo's audio with certain games when the sync sound option is checked.

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
That's why it affects the framerate?! That's stupid IMBO! Why should audio control the speed? Isn't that why the emulator has framerate limiting options in the first place, so syncing the sound shouldn't affect speed? It think it's absolutely pointless. I wish Jabo's plugin would actually work on 1964.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
dragon_rider said:
That's why it affects the framerate?! That's stupid IMBO! Why should audio control the speed? Isn't that why the emulator has framerate limiting options in the first place, so syncing the sound shouldn't affect speed? It think it's absolutely pointless. I wish Jabo's plugin would actually work on 1964.

You know, you can take it the other way around.... why the emulator has framerate limiting ? it's stupid, there's already a limiter in the sound plugin...

There are different places where the speed can be limited, each has its own advantages. PSX emu for example are limiting it in the gfx plugin if i remember right. Actually, the speed should be correct if timing was correctly emulated in 1964. If timing is correct, the sound plugin know exactly how to slow emulation down.

You're wondering what's the advantage of having speed controled by the sound plugin ? Theoretically, it's possible to have no blank between buffers and it would avoid ticks and cracks.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It's only stupid because you don't understand, and Jabo's Directsound does work with the RSP.dll placed in your plugin dir, you can grab this from project64, enable the rsp in plugin options too and assign Jabo's sound plugin as your sound plugin.

Jabo's sound sync will not work in 1964 though, only downside;

Even if it shows less framerate, sometimes the game is running at the bloody right speed, has that ever occured to you? that's just a number on your screen... if the sound is correct and the game is running fine then screw the VIs/Fps.

jdsony

The N64 has complex timing and lacks a dedicated sound processor which is why it took so long to get the games working without crackly sound. A handful of games run at framrates other than 30fps. I think there are some that run at less than 30fps and others that run faster than 30fps. Framerate limiting is so the game doesn't run faster than normal speed (especially important the faster the PC you are running it on). I'm not sure what the fps for Goemon are on a real N64 but it was running at 45fps for me yesterday as well using Project 64 and Glide64. That might be the speed it's supposed to run at or the sound sync might not work properly for that game.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
For information, i've just tested it on the unreleased mupen64 0.5 with azi's plugin and i get a perfect 60 VI/S for 30 fps.

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Has Mupen 0.5 had drastic improvements over 0.4? This I gotta see (when it comes out)!

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Okay, I just tried Azimers Sound Plugin 0.55 RS fix with its "new" synching and the sound plays too fast. But after having tried the old sync method while using Fraps to measure the real speed with this synching (old), runs 21 to 23 fps. The new sync runs 30 fps, but with choppier, faster sound.