What's new

Why do 2d graphics and text look so blurry and blocky?

thakis

That's because the n64 roms store only low-resolution images (tv's don't have a high resolution), there's nothing you could do about that except using a filter to increase the resolution of the textures at load time (say, double each textures width and height) - kind of what the snes emulators are doing. But I know no gfx plugin that does that. However, a filter will never give you as decent results as repainting the textures by hand, and that's what's happening in the "High resolutions texture project" subthread in the pj64 forum, so you might want to visit that forum.

edit: uhm, the 1964 forum, not pj64. sorry.

Last edited:

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
thakis said:
kind of what the snes emulators are doing. But I know no gfx plugin that does that.

Rice's Video, Jabo's, glN64, and Direct64 all have texture filters implemented...

OP
D

deathace

Im using Jabo's plugin and 2xsai texture doesn't improve anything at all, except the hearts in zelda looks sharper. I read the manual and it says using texture filter generally causes more problems, is this true?

Clements

Depends on the plugin. You cannot expect 2xSAI to be glitch/artifact free, or look high resolution since they are dealing with low resolution images, that is the nature of filters. HQ filters use a better algorithm so I suggest trying that.

OP
D

deathace

I was refering to Jabo's plugin. I also read the pj64 manual, which said "always use texture filter" usually causes more problems. Is this true?

Clements

In some instances it will cause artifacts, which is why it is off by default. In a few games, it does a good job in smoothing the graphics, most notably Mortal Kombat Trilogy. I suggest you try it out and see what happens.