What's new

Who still uses 1964's Netplay.

Do you still use 1964's netplay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

death--droid

I'm thinking of removing 1964's netplay out of the source code because of the outdated Kallerila.
But i will only do that if little to no one use it now.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Removes alot of stuff, makes the code cleaner and easy to code in of course there are a lot of other advantages.
Plus no point in keeping something that is outdated and hardly anyone uses.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

I may end up looking into other methods for online play.
Not quite sure what Dolphin-emu uses :p

microdev

ok, i agree

No, I don't agree at all. No offence, but where is the point? Just removing something doesn't bring you any further.

A better approach would be to enhance netplay and bring it to a state where it is usable and people will use it, meaning to use your resources to create something that advances this emulator. Having said that, I also would really recommend you concentrating on one thing at a time.

You wanted to work on the Rice plugin, you want to work on 1964, you want to manage both code repositories, you are trying to retexture, you want to manage the Zelda community project. From my point of view these might be a way to many tasks to be successfull in any of them.

Thus my advice: Concentrate on one thing, commit yourself to it and do it right.

Once again, please don't take it as an offence. It is supposed to be a constructive critism and I think the only way to succeed. You are really trying to do something, which is a really good thing. The community needs such people. But I think you have to decide and stay to your choice.

microdev

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Kaillera is closed source so you can enhance it without some way gaining access to the source code plus as far as i know no one is working on Kaillera at all.

I like working on multiple projects at the same time otherwise i loose interest in things to fast.
And Microdev i started the Zelda Community Project in the first place so technically i should of being managing it when i wasn't and i don't really re-texture anything anyway, managing a code repositories is easy any way and i most likely won't be looking after the Rice plugin one since the 1964 Video plugin is the same as it.

One side note:
Every project I've committed my self completely to I've done badly.

microdev

Kaillera is closed source so you can enhance it without some way gaining access to the source code plus as far as i know no one is working on Kaillera at all.

That is true. But enhancing netplay doesn't necessarely mean enhancing Kaillera. Btw. Dolphin also uses Kaillera & it doesn't work well so far. An own development might be an alternative.

most likely won't be looking after the Rice plugin one since the 1964 Video plugin is the same as it.
ok, but what does that mean?

Every project I've committed my self completely to I've done badly.
If you are interested in working at different concurrent projects than you should try to complete the tasks you assigned yourself to (e.g. Zelda background bug of the plugin or whatsoever).

OP
death--droid

death--droid

microdev I'm pretty sure Dolphin does not use Kaillera I'm pretty sure its custom built as from what i can see from going through the code there are no hooks into Kaillera or any reference of Kaillera.
I'll work on the Zelda background bug if i ever figure out why it does that then I'll work on it.

microdev

microdev I'm pretty sure Dolphin does not use Kaillera I'm pretty sure its custom built as from what i can see from going through the code there are no hooks into Kaillera or any reference of Kaillera.

Kaillera discussion on Dolphin NGEmu forum

There is also a P2P version of Kaillera, which is open source and might be the better solution here.

I'll work on the Zelda background bug if i ever figure out why it does that then I'll work on it.

Zelda uses an alternative high level routine to load the backgrounds, meaning the background is loaded by one function call. In the original N64 this function cares about loading the tiles. Rice did not implement the tile loading calls but loads the whole background directly. He simply forgot to call the hires replacement routine for this exceptional case. Thus the solution should be pretty easy: find the routine and add a call to load the hires replacement.

Gonetz elaborated this problematic somewhere in the Zelda thread of Djipi.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
i'm still with you droid it would be a good deed to at least clean up the code

if you can clean it up you should if not to only refine it

i mean i don't use net play often but the last time i did it well ...Sucked!