What's new

Who are having fun with the latest compiles? Thoughts on development?

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I sure am fellas:bouncy: I played a little TLoZTWW tonight, cranked the graphics way up, and it is eye candy. Pure eye candy. Started fresh, is now at Dragon Roost cavern. The speed is fantastic. It is not full speed on the BIG areas, but still very playable. Still a few graphical glitches here and there, but it doesn´t ruin the fun. Having a broken Gamecube, and a RGB cable which i can´t use, and NO RGB cable for the Wii, this is great. Using the 360 remote. Quite hilarious, using it for Nintendo games.
Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Ahh, i´m having a lot of fun with this...Feel free to post your experiences with the emu, and how you feel about the development this past year. I am VERY interested to know how other look at this.

Oh, and the second shot there? Full speed. That´s right. Or at least VERY close...I´m just so impressed...

Since i first tried this emulator in ´03, i have closely followed the development of this incredible emu. I remember watching a video, with fixed frame rate, of TWW. I was so impressed. There wasn´t much to see, there was a lot of whiteness, but i was still VERY impressed. And look how far it has come. I am extremely proud of you guys, i have no idea how you do it..

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I'm also pleased. Now SSBM runs at a very playable speed (usually) and even occasionally seems a small bit too fast. They said the release a year ago was focused on compatibility, this time it was definitely speed. Sound still doesn't work in many games, but it's proven to be a bitch in the past.

Mostly I'm now interested in maybe getting ahold of the plugin spec and seeing if the NRage source can be adapted to Dolphin. It would help if I knew how things worked though... And if I knew how to code decently. Hahaha.

Urb4n Z0mb13

Using the 360 remote. Quite hilarious, using it for Nintendo games.

Whats your layout like? The triggers and D-pad won't map for me and it leaves me short at least 1 button.

Also first post but I've been a silent observer for months, maybe a year.

j3bus

jebus
Yeap!!! I join this too!!! three chears for dolphin!!! Yeeaa!!! Thats rigth since the firts release came out i was so impressed, but now it looks like a dream. I have to really say that I admire all the dolphin development team, guys you have done a great job. Theres nothing I cant ask you for, cause you have done (as i said) a great job!

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Whats your layout like? The triggers and D-pad won't map for me and it leaves me short at least 1 button.

Also first post but I've been a silent observer for months, maybe a year.
Agh, i meant controller, not remote. If that´s what you meant as well, i am using Dolphin´s own keyboard and 360 plugin. It works fine for me.

360-----Gamecube
A ----------A
X ----------B
Y ----------Y
B ----------X

That´s the standard config from the build i have. It´s a lot more true to the GC layout, so it is more preferable that way. The triggers and the D-pad works fine.

Urb4n Z0mb13

Agh, i meant controller, not remote. If that´s what you meant as well, i am using Dolphin´s own keyboard and 360 plugin. It works fine for me.

360-----Gamecube
A ----------A
X ----------B
Y ----------Y
B ----------X

That´s the standard config from the build i have. It´s a lot more true to the GC layout, so it is more preferable that way. The triggers and the D-pad works fine.

Oh, I was using the new nJoy. So in the default plug-in the triggers and bumpers are supported? I guess I should have tried that before asking.... :blush:

While I'm at it, how about rumble? Sorry for all the questioning but right now I'm away from my awesome 'Dolphin' eating machine of a PC. I suppose I could just wait until I get back to it but... I'm an impatient prick. :king:

cerebus5

Very impressive. I was just playing with the previous beta build of Dolphin and this is a whole qualitative leap beyond that. Games are actually playable. Of course my donkey of a core duo processor doesn't give me such great framerates but it's still acceptable. Now if I could just get the sound working...

What specs are you running emufan? I can't get above 14 fps in an outdoor setting. Indoors is like butta.

Last edited:
OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Ah, specs. I´ll put it simple:
A kickass motherboard. MSI K9A2 Platinum V2, to be more precise. Do a search.
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad core processor, 2.20 GHz.
NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320 MB
Just 1 GB of RAM(Had to sacrifice the other so the motherboard i gave my brother would work)

I get a very average speed of 22-25 fps. It´s very playable, i´m just done with The Forbidden Forest/Woods/Something, and have sailed to Windfall.

I have had a few crashes, first in Dragon Roost Cavern (some really annoying ones also) and in The Forbidden Forest/Woods/Something. I couln´t use the map there, the emu would crash if i did.

I had a Dual Core processor a while ago, and the latest official release of Dolphin was very fast.

If you have the version posted by RockmanForte, then that compile is slower then the mosst recent ones. (Sorry,Rockdude).

There was a much faster version posted in the Dolphin (SVN) Shots thread. I´ll just post the link here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131698772/x64.zip.html

Oh, and REMEMBER to turn on Dual Core.

And cooling is very important. Doesn´t help much when you use Vista, like i do. I regret.

Last edited:

cerebus5

Hm your PC basically devours mine. I've got a Gigabyte S series motherboard, a core duo 1.8, 7300 GS and 2 gb ram. I can't run the 64 bit version. But actually it's still quite playable even on what I can do. at the very worst it slows down to 8 fps, which is bearable.

p_025

I get huge slowdowns on that Fountain of Dreams level in SSBM. I blame the video card.

NepSquare

Great work Dev's 'n compilers!! Thx!

It was super to pickup my old games again, trying each I stored luckily on my HD for yeeeaaaaarrrsss now, for that one day when Dolphin grew beyond something I never could've dreamt of half a decade ago...

Only, the first to try was WW hung on the sound init bug after obtaining the telescope (cooliscool bypassed that with Artmoney, I beleive in the past)...

Somehow I get the gist of "that it's fixed" when flicking through the forum, but I can't seem to work out which build that was in. R18 I've read somewhere but I can't seem to locate or fix the issue with the current builds.

I'm getting of topic now but I really enjoyed walking around with WW and TP, SSBM worked brilliantly too. Tales of Symphonia has a slight controller bug where you can't go back in menu's but it looks great!
---EDIT: Just found it's the NTSC USA version that it was fixed, nvm---

I love the community for this too --without it-- there wouldn't be the same evolution like we've been enjoying for so long now. Great Devs + Enthusiastic Community makes a great EMU...

Ah...sigh...where did the days go when I was waiting in "dos mode" with my vesa2 enabled gfx card to get those extra fps's out of early Snes emu's without sound joypad and HDMA support?

'N

Last edited:

Olly

(Y)
Well, I'll have to give WW a go once I've got it. I've got the game to play on my GameCube anyway, so it seems kinda pointless lol.
Still, yeah, we all complain a lot, but at the end of the day, the guys behind the emulator have done a fantastic job. Especially seeing as they have continually brought out "final" builds, then gone back to work on the emulator anyway.

One thing I was wondering is, seeing as you've spent so long on Dolphin's GC emulation, are you going to stick around to finish through Wii emulation? Or was it just a small preliminary inclusion for the fun of it? Or even in hope someone else would finish it one day? Just wondering =]

Oh, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door works almost perfectly bar a couple of small graphical bugs and one cutscene at the start of the game where the gate won't open (the professor just stands there and nothing happens). If you could fix that cutscene so the game was playable past that point (or some way of bypassing it), I'd give you all a big hug. Fair enough if you have more important things to do though.

p_025

Wii emulation was definitely a preliminary installment, hoping that someone somewhere would eventually finish it off. I'm not optimistic of that happening any time before 2015.

I'll have to try Paper Mario, but I'm not fond of games that have dumbed down graphics on purpose. Like the Paper Mario series is flat, um okay, a good idea maybe for one game. Zelda the Wind Waker looks like it was drawn by a four year old.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What, experimental artistic direction that tries to deviate from the masses and brings something new and interesting to the way a video game is presented is frowned upon now?

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Well, that doesn´t really make you a true gamer, does it? That makes you a SELECTIVE gamer. You stick with one thing, and that is games with realistic graphics. I, for one, are open for things like innovative games. Agozer said it all very well, actually...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I wouldn't say that it doesn't make him a true gamer. It's a matter of personal preference, regardless of whether you or I like his view. Personally, I think that these styles are excellent and set the games that use these alternate styles apart from the rest.

Okami, Wind Waker, Jet Set Radio, killer7, Wild ARMs 3, Paper Mario, Vib Ribbon, etc.

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Wii emulation was definitely a preliminary installment, hoping that someone somewhere would eventually finish it off. I'm not optimistic of that happening any time before 2015.

It will be a lot sooner than that when Wii games get in-game. It's not far off being able to do so already.

Speed wise should be similar or the same to what the gamecube games run like in dolphin. Since the wii is basically just a slightly improved gamecube (hardware wise)