What's new

Which Controller is best used with PC?

machspeed

Dead Guy
Hey all...

I was reading a post here a few hours ago and it got me thinkin i want to use a controller with my emulator(s)...I use 1964 and PJ64...Nrage's Input, and all... I was just lookin around on ebay and i found adaptors that support 2 controllers using 1 USB outlet. They had them for X-Box and ps2...I was just wondering if you guys had any idea as to which one is best to use... I'm not sure but doesnt xbox have more buttons? but then the ps2 is smaller and cool lookin...any reccommendations?

thx
machspeed :gunman:

IceLord

Well i have used my adaptoid with a nintendo 64 controller and compared to my other gamepad, a logitech wingman, it is a lot better.

(Im not surprised at all it was better concidering it was made for the system.)

adr

I've only just got into N64 emulation, but I'm using a USB pad I picked up a while ago when I was playing a lot of Mega Drive/Genesis games. It's shaped exactly like a Mega Drive controller only with 10 buttons, so it's fine for N64 too. I'd like to get a converter so I can use proper N64 pads though, because a lot of games would be so much better with an analogue stick, can't play Goldeneye without one! Which reminds me, does anyone have any tips on how to get Goldeneye working perfectly? I'm on an AMD Athlon 2800+ with a GeForce FX5200 and 512MB DDR ram, so I'd imagine it's possible but it doesn't seem to be full speed. However, when I play other games such as Mario 64 and Mario Party they are indistinguishable from the real game, especially when I play them on my TV.

Out of the XBox and PS2 controllers, I'd say the XBox one would be the one to go for, because on the front there's room for both A and B and all four of the C buttons, whereas on the PS2 controller you'd have to assign two of the C buttons to the shoulder buttons on the back, meaning your Z trigger would have to be the select button in the middle of the pad. That's a problem I had on my pad for a bit, and I found it really hard to do a lot of things, such as accelerate on Road Rash and do long jumps on Mario 64!

Hope that's of some help with your decision, and that it wasn't too late.

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
Goldeneye

Well, you were a little late, but i think i can manage with a ps2 controller without taking such desparate measures as you did... I also thought it would be cool with 2 players also ...Thanks for the input though...

As for Goldeneye 007, your computer is exactly like mine so use these plugins/settings: Project 64 v1.5

Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40
Jabo's DirectSound 1.40
Nrage's DirectInput V2.82a

i use all the default settings and the game runs flawlessly in full screen mode also

hope I helped
machspeed

adr

Thanks a lot! I switched to all three of them and mine runs almost perfectly too! Now all I need is a controller with an analogue stick like yours - at the moment I've set up modifiers to change the movement sensitivity when I press certain buttons. It's not too bad though, I can actually see myself becoming quite efficient with these buttons. Thanks for the plugin advice!