What's new

What will be the name of Ultrahle 2064 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote

Me neither. Almost five years have gone and uHLE2064 is a great name so why change it, and it's not like they kept it secret that they were going to release a newer, better emu based on the uHLE source.

jollyrancher

I think if you just keep the name uHLE2064 and don't refer to it as "UltraHLE 2064" it'd be ok... it just gets confusing with 3 emulators called UltraHLE.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
before first release there was a huge discussion inside the team about the name we came to the conclusion that the name ultrahle2064 was a good name because we were refering to the original ultrahle, it contains epsilon and rm work so why changing the name ? it would have been disrespectful in our point of view to change the name. And 2064 to say it's something clearly different, not maintain by the same authors. Dominator did his best to get the attention of the original authors before the release + there has been an announcement before the first release, the authors never said us any word, so we came to the conclusion that they don't care about this project anymore...
Even now, realityman didn't contact us so no i don't think the uhle2064 team will change the name.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't think they should, Who the heck does RM think he is, he could at least contact you guys when he could've, thats just rude to just appear and demand a rename.

mojo

I think UltraHLE 2064 should send him some e-mail and ask him to work with group. I reckon that's the best way for UltraHLE development.

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
It will be ok to change the name if it was Epsilon who requested it, but knowing the little work RealityMan did and the dissapointment we all got with his last return, just ignore him.

OP
Felipe

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
Posted by Johann - Today at 21:16
It will be ok to change the name if it was Epsilon who requested it, but knowing the little work RealityMan did and the dissapointment we all got with his last return, just ignore him.

what RealityMan did?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I see no reason why the name should change, after all, Reality Man doesn't really have any copyright rights over the name UltraHLE.

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
Felipe said:
what RealityMan did?

Well... I'm not sure, but if i'm not wrong, he joined the ultrahle project when it was nearly finished (Epsilon did almost an 80/90% of the code, I think).

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
I also don't think it should be changed, and I agree the team should have been contacted privatly rather then including it in a public post demanding all projects using the older UltraHLE leaked source change their name. He has no legal basis for the change and I highly doubt he would pursue anything anyways.

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
"I would like to request, however, that developers not use the UltraHLE name..."

It was a request, he didn't say that he demands it. Yes later on he says that he owns copyright to the name and what not (not like it matters unless he legally owns it). But he didn't come out like a total jerk and demand anything.

But to stay on topic, I also don't see any reason to change, because if he just wants recognition for the original source (as he requested to be mentioned), then keeping the original name is a great way to say "Look we didn't just come up with all of this on our own." IMHO

mojo

I think UltraHLE 2064 should change name to 2064. Like 1964 name, short name is better than long name.

Status
Not open for further replies.