What's new

What to get: a new GPU or a new CPU?

enb141

Hi, this is my first post, I really love Chankast but my current PC is a P4 1.8Ghz 256 PC800 Rambus, ATI Radeon 9600 Non pro, my question is what to get a new CPU or a New Graphic card in order to get higher frame rate in chankast.

madprofessor

zito oi penses
get some memory and wait. i mean common i get decent fps with chankast with my celeron laptop... i think you can get some more out of ur gpu and cpu before u upgrade.

Weyland

Weyland Yutani Corporation
memory ... people always underestimate that, get as much as you can, it's cheap

Heinster

You could overclock it but be sure to cool it well ;) And I would recommend the memory part too.... That vidcard is more then enough......

lucindrea

GPU can only display as much as it's told to , it's told what to display by the CPU , cpu gets it's instructions from Memory , and memory is loaded from disk ...

to slow a disk and the memory waits for the information to load up before it can start sending the data to the cpu , too little memory and the cpu waits for the instructions , to slow cpu and the gpu waits for the the cpu to catch up.

so it's allways better to have your graphix card "slightly" ahead of the cpu , but the cpu does so much more than just graphix ( like emulating etc.. ) and because disk is so slow it never never hurts to have to much memory ( is their such a thing? )

for most PC games it's the GPU that is lacking on alot of systems ... but in the case of emulation , their is so much work the CPU needs to do for each frame , then cpu would be the first thing i would look into.

memory is like crack for the computer .. it allways wants more. ( if i could afford 2 1G sticks , i would )

Heinster

I think when having 256mb of memory that extra memory will have the best price performance for your pc..... Not only emulation but alot more :p

Jakob

evil *******
eh, buying a P4 just seems like such a monumental waste of money at this point, you can buy a very fast athlon64 for a fraction of the price

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
pAsSiVe said:
eh, buying a P4 just seems like such a monumental waste of money at this point, you can buy a very fast athlon64 for a fraction of the price

i could be agree with you, if he had an amd motherboard... but it's not the case...

and concerning the ram, enb141 you need more than 256mb if you have xp, but 512 is enought...

Last edited:
OP
E

enb141

Nightmare said:
i could be agree with you, if he had an amd motherboard... but it's not the case...

and concerning the ram, enb141 you need more than 256mb if you have xp, but 512 is enought...

Yeah I know I need more than 256 in RAM but my courrent PC is RAMBUS so why to wast money in that expensive thing in now days so instead I'm going to save more money in order to buy a new Monster with 1 Gig in RAM

pAsSiVe said:

Athlons comsume more power than intel so you have to add some bucks to your bills for watt consumption, AMD high end motherboards are more expensive than Intel ones (AMD64), RAM for (AMD64) is more expensive than DDR1 for intel ones so wanna hear more?

I'm not fighing or complaining with you, I just mentionated that example but I would like to listen your opinions too

veritron

RAM might help

Chanka uses 100 mb of RAM by itself when it runs Soul Caliber, so you're definitely going to end up in swap territory with only 256 mb. 512+ won't make much of a difference.

Clements

Intel P4 processors have much slower performance in Chankast than a decent AthlonXP. It has been shown again and again on these very forums.

Strange

Athlons comsume more power than intel so you have to add some bucks to your bills for watt consumption, AMD high end motherboards are more expensive than Intel ones (AMD64), RAM for (AMD64) is more expensive than DDR1 for intel ones so wanna hear more?
Not at all - A64 is cheaper than P4, and motherboards for them is not expensive - about 120-150$ - same as for P4. And about Ram - its the same DDR as for XP and P4 - wanna hear more? ;). Athlon64 is the best variant for now...

Last edited:
OP
E

enb141

P4 3.2 Ghz $320.00
Athlon 64 3400 $415.00

Intel Motherboard D915G $150.00
Asus K8N-E Deluxe Nforce 3 250 $150.00

Samsung PC3200 DDR1 400Mhz $80.00

Is the Athlon 64 3400 in the same level of a P4 3.2Ghz?

Last edited: