What's new

What is RSP?

TheBiscuit

Can someone please explain what RSP is - or at least what it stands for? I don't know if I've ever used an RSP plugin, but I suspect not. Some posts seem to indicate that it can improve the quality of your emulation experience in some way. What is it, what does it do? If it's any good at all then why is there not one in the install package for 1964? Finally, do I need one?

Yes, I know that I should be embarrassed, and it probably is something really simple, but I just don't know what it is.

Allnatural

From PJ64's help file:

Reality Signal Processor
Hardware, part of the N64 console system, a co-processor clocked at 2/3 the speed of the CPU and used for most audio and some graphics processing, low level emulated in Project64 by the RSP plugin which has a choice of two cores.

Normally, you shouldn't need an RSP plugin (as far as I know). If you want to use Jabo's audio however, you'll need to copy over the RSP from PJ64.

OP
TheBiscuit

TheBiscuit

Allnatural said:
From PJ64's help file:

Reality Signal Processor
Hardware, part of the N64 console system, a co-processor clocked at 2/3 the speed of the CPU and used for most audio and some graphics processing, low level emulated in Project64 by the RSP plugin which has a choice of two cores.

Normally, you shouldn't need an RSP plugin (as far as I know). If you want to use Jabo's audio however, you'll need to copy over the RSP from PJ64.

Ahh... that clears it up. Does that mean that certain games with graphical glitches might work better in PJ64? I know this is the wrong forum to ask that in, but since you brought it up... :shifty:

rcgamer

the old guy
no it doesnt. every game that is playable that i have works better in 1964. just copy the rsp to 1964 plugin folder.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
TheBiscuit said:
Ahh... that clears it up. Does that mean that certain games with graphical glitches might work better in PJ64? I know this is the wrong forum to ask that in, but since you brought it up... :shifty:

Almost certainly not. You'd be better off using Jabo's D3D plugin in 1964.

Clements

Since 1964 0.9.9 doesn't need to use the RSP to display jpeg backgrounds anymore (another great thing about 1964 0.9.9!) it's only needed for LLE Audio such as Jabo's DirectSound.

(At last, there won't be any bug reports in glN64 threads about jpeg not being displayed since 1964 doesn't need the RSP for it anymore! :p )

OP
TheBiscuit

TheBiscuit

Ok thanks everyone. That's cleared it up. I was hoping that RSP might be the answer to my Paper Mario woes, but going on Clements' post, that seems unlikely, as he states that PJ64 only used the RSP plugin for audio FX. Thanks again.