What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

Weenuk

New features and ideas, hmmmm.

Well, better widescreen support. I know that only a couple of Games (GoldenEye and Perfect Dark come to mind) actually have a 16x9 widescreen (most games are only in 4:3) and I know you can't make a game truly widescreen unless it supports it. But, it would still be nice to be able to output to you're Hi-Def television in 16x9 resolutions for those games that do support (like 1920x1080 and 1280x720p). Custom resolutions and more built in resolutions would also be great (like special ones such as odd plasma TV widescreens like 1280x1024, 1024x1024, 1280x768 and 13**x768. Yeah, I know some of those don't work out to 16x9 but that's what some TVs use). It might even be nice to be able to simply detect what you're monitor or second device is using and output it to whatever that monitor is set at.

Surround sound support and surround sound simulation through sPDIF sounds good.

For those people suggested a visible controller pattern to see button mapping in the config screen, ever consider a 3D version like what we saw in goldeneye back in the day? You'd push the button down on the real controller and it would go down on the rendered one. Gimmicky, but still neat and intuitive.

I'll try to think of some more things nobody else mentioned. Thanks for hearing the fans out guys.

Weenuk

It would be neat to be able to somehow intergrate more of a game's content into the menus. For instance, selecting a game and being able to view it's boxart, screenshots, ads etc.. from the menu (it would even be nice to see the boxart in 3D with a normal/displacement map applied to simulate the 3D bulge that some boxes had on them. Maybe a little much). Maybe even be able to download manuals and stuff (though scans of the manuals are probably just as illegal as the roms). Not something really important, but it would be a nice side project for artists and other non coders in the community and would definately add other funtionality to the emulator besides emulation.

Weenuk

Actually, another neat idea might be to add a letter box mode for both 16x9 screens (crop off the sides with some kind of black border, or maybe a random movement generator thing I just made up to prevent burn in on some televisions) and for 4:3 screens (normal letterbox, fit a 16x9 image on the screen with black borders on the top and bottom).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
@Weenuk
fullscreen resolutions are/always have been/will be enumerated from your video driver.
aspect controls for games in pj64 1.7 are already basically done, it's one of the first things i went through with jabo.. i think it can do almost everything users will want. if you're interested in aspect controls i'd recommend donating and trying the current beta so you can work with us to see if it's right or to work with us to get what you want. i might explain what we have exactly if jabo gives the go ahead.
i have a 16x9 TV so I understand the issues and games can now be centred/letterboxed/stretched for each game as you wish, basically. but what we've done goes beyond that and should work for e.g. 5:4 displays aswell.

Last edited:

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Smiff said:
@Weenuk
fullscreen resolutions are/always have been/will be enumerated from your video driver.
aspect controls for games in pj64 1.7 are already basically done, it's one of the first things i went through with jabo.. i think it can do almost everything users will want. if you're interested in aspect controls i'd recommend donating and trying the current beta so you can work with us to see if it's right or to work with us to get what you want. i might explain what we have exactly if jabo gives the go ahead.
i have a 16x9 TV so I understand the issues and games can now be centred/letterboxed/stretched for each game as you wish, basically. but what we've done goes beyond that and should work for e.g. 5:4 displays aswell.

i agree with smiff donate if you want to help otherwise some of this stuff the pj64 team is working on:flowers:

Clements

Some games have a 16:9 mode built-in, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. All you have to do is select a widescreen resolution and enable the 16:9 option. Obviously this isn't available for every game. I use a 16:9 resolution with my laptop.

M[u]ddy

In version 1.5 you could enter questionmarks in the cheats, whithout defining them(for example in the "funny mario options" of Mario 64).

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
I would like to see the ability to force the 3D camera's aspect ratio and field of view. But I have a feeling that it is by far, a longshot.

I know SOTE has semi-widescreen support. You have to use a gameshark and debug menu to manually set the Aspect Ratio to 1.77:1.

The flicker in SOTE is something that I hope is fixed, as well as more support for back-buffer/shader effects. (ex. the camspy in PD and the dissolve effect for vanish cap mario)

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
skyman8081 said:
I would like to see the ability to force the 3D camera's aspect ratio and field of view. But I have a feeling that it is by far, a longshot.

I know SOTE has semi-widescreen support. You have to use a gameshark and debug menu to manually set the Aspect Ratio to 1.77:1.

The flicker in SOTE is something that I hope is fixed, as well as more support for back-buffer/shader effects. (ex. the camspy in PD and the dissolve effect for vanish cap mario)

camspy does work in perfect dark

ward12e

How about support for an interface within windows media center edition for people with windows XP media center edition so that it is possible to run PJ64 and select the ROM that you wish to play from several feet away from the screen using a the microsoft media center remote control?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Clements said:
Some games have a 16:9 mode built-in, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. All you have to do is select a widescreen resolution and enable the 16:9 option. Obviously this isn't available for every game. I use a 16:9 resolution with my laptop.

yes and then other games will come out stretched. if you don't have/don't choose an exactly 16:9 DAR the game will come out distorted. and so on and on. 1.6 was very incomplete in this area. 1.7 i hope will make it all useable.

I've read through every page now and as for my ideas it's pretty much exactly what jahra!n mentioned in his posts, stuff to make the games prettier.

Please don't laugh if i take myself too serious bloating out poorly articulated impossibilities ;P

I have an idea on how some of these ideas could be implemented, theoretically anyway as i have no programming knowledge whatsoever.

It goes something like this:

------------------------------

When selecting a game you could rightclick it and choose Textures and that would bring up a new dialouge allowing you to load a pack and then and browse the textures, i imagine a preview frame to the left and a list of files on the right and import/export undreneath the preview, and now for the perhaps unrealistic part, also undreneath preview should there be an Advanced button wich brings up an dialouge allowing you to set/save/load certain properties to the textures such as glow, blur, cast light etc. as well as applying extra layers with detailtextures/bumpmapping and perhaps even parallax mapping to it, and if the person customizing is a badass at these things he might wanna have a custom special effects editor allowing to set multiple custom effects to a texture or perhaps a certain area of the texture.
And then when saving you save an config ini wich would be stored in an folder, it would also be possible to have multiple configs for a pack.

As for Cel shading, Bloom effects and the likes, they are no mystery on how they should be implemented so no use going further into that.

------------------------------

Well this might just be a crazy dream of mine, but it would be so goddamn awesome that i hardly can find any words for it, imagine the possibilities.

English is not my first language so please don't kill me for any strange sentences :robot:

You're free to ignore me as i'm to lazy to check if it's even possible ;P

Crizzle

This might have been mentioned before but I didnt see it come up.

I would love to see the ability to fast-forward and rewind gameplay at the touch of a button, similar to what you can do in the SNES emulator ZSNES. I am not sure how feasible this would be and using it would probably up the minimum requirements but its a feature I cant live without in ZSNES.

AlphaWhelp

Certain graphic effects, like animated crossfades and specific sprite/texture rendering styles seem to cause PJ64 to turn into still life. For example, the opening sequence to Shadowgate 64 took me around 10 minutes to get passed it, and I had similar results with different graphics plugins. Ogre Battle 64 has similar problems, though not nearly as severe as Shadowgate's. Perhaps you could look into what's causing the dire FPS drop?

Additionally, here is another thought in mind. Would there be some way to emulate music separately so that low FPS moments, when they do occur, don't play horribly choppy sound? Or, perhaps, add in some sort of frameskip feature that speeds up the game to match the music, instead of slowing down the music to match the game?

smcd

For troubleshooting issues, a "copy settings to clipboard" option that queries the settings and (optionally) detected hardware. This would be nice because it'd give a standardized format for reporting such things and it'd be easy on the user too.

Clements

sethmcdoogle said:
For troubleshooting issues, a "copy settings to clipboard" option that queries the settings and (optionally) detected hardware. This would be nice because it'd give a standardized format for reporting such things and it'd be easy on the user too.

Good idea. This option with Pete's plugins is brilliant, e.g. when somebody has a problem and can quickly include this info in a bug report.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Clements said:
Good idea. This option with Pete's plugins is brilliant, e.g. when somebody has a problem and can quickly include this info in a bug report.

Yes I've thought about that as well, I added to Jnes actually for the next release, I'll try to see if zilmar can use some of the same elements

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
sethmcdoogle said:

One thing we are actually trying to set up now is a unified settings file that the .exe and all the core plugins share. So it will not be using the registry any more and the user should just be able to upload that file.