What's new

what are you code the video in???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDragon

Doomulation, try playing Far Cry (Demo) in highest details with a Voodoo card, then. I don't imply to say that Voodoo card never were good. They were extremely good - but now it's been years and Voodoo cards are definitly not the best anymore. X/2 > X :p

vleespet

The decent one
Voodoo cards don't have pixel shaders, so they need to use another (software emulated) blending mode, but that shouldn't be the reason. I think you are looking at the N64 which has a waaay faster Glide plugin than any other non-gilde plugin. The reason is that the N64 uses a card similar to the voodoo 2, so the blending modes are easier (but still pretty hard) to emulate, but the GC uses OGL so most likely an OpenGL plugin should be the fastest for this console!

ZDragon

It's the same with the CPU, pretty much. Using a Mac would make an emulator for Gamecube faster because both use Power PC. If there was a Mac version, that is :p

bohdy

I thought it was pretty obvious that the vid plugin uses DirectX since it states it in the choose plugin dialog...

And the GC uses a OGL *like* graphics language (afaik) but it would be just as good to emulate it using DirectX as Ogl because they share most of the same capabilities. Its just a matter of which one you are more comfortable coding with.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ZDragon said:
Doomulation, try playing Far Cry (Demo) in highest details with a Voodoo card, then. I don't imply to say that Voodoo card never were good. They were extremely good - but now it's been years and Voodoo cards are definitly not the best anymore. X/2 > X :p
You're misinterpreting what I'm writing.
I'm saying voodoos are the fatest; not the best. They're by far not the best - only the fastest.

ZDragon

They are also not the fastest... today's graphics cards can even fill much more than the double number of polys within a shorter time than Voodoo ever had... if that's also not what you meant, explain, please.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ZDragon said:
They are also not the fastest... today's graphics cards can even fill much more than the double number of polys within a shorter time than Voodoo ever had... if that's also not what you meant, explain, please.
In terms of cpu power. A 3d game with effects that both voodoo and other cards supports, voodoo will outperform the other.
In terms where the voodoo cannot support what the games use, it might need to use software emulation, which will of course be slower than its counterpart.

ZDragon

Nah, but the discussion is useless, don't you agree? A new graphics card will always be better than an Voodoo. So why code it in Glide? Which would, by the way, need to use software emulation in lots of Gamecube functions because Voodoo card's simply don't know what a pixel shader is :p

Status
Not open for further replies.