What's new

Webcomics with Videogame jokes.. gone?

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
One can hardly keep up with the level of consolidation and treachery in the industry anymore. My interest lies more in what these companies produce, so by and large I'm content just let them slink around in the dark and kill each other. Product, not production. To cite just one example, I'm interested in fruit - but not botany or agriculture. So there you have it.

Eventually, it's not going to be the kind of thing I can avoid, because I'm going to walk into an Electronic Arts retail location here in a couple years and purchase a white box with the word "Game" on it, and that's going to be the industry. EA just snapped up DICE, as I'm sure you saw. Before that was the much ballyhooed NFL thing, to which Take Two responded by securing MLB exclusivity, of a sort - and their recent acquisition of Sega's Visual Concepts sports studio will gird their loins for the coming battle. It's madness. I don't even have time to jot down an ironic comment on the state of things before the constituent things have been entirely reconfigured.

That, more than anything else, is why we sought to secure "rights in perpetuity to any and all humorous comic interpretations and/or situations arising or inferred from the electronic entertainment industry and/or the products thereof." The fact of the matter is that with strips like Ctrl-Alt-Del, VG Cats, PvP, and that fucker Greg Dean (congratulations on the engagement!) nipping at our heels - and the black day of the single, hydra-headed Ultrapublisher ever hastening - the air's getting a little thin.

You might be wondering what recourse is available to you, the disenfranchised web auteur. Honestly? Dig a hole and die in it. I have crafted these bleak circumstances, and I have set them upon you like dogs. Your exertions will only make you more delicious to them. They will find you cast in blue light, huddled in the subdirectory where you shiver with your .gifs, and they will end you.

..... What the? It just doesn't seem much fair, does it? Penny Arcade has filed to be the only legal webcomic whom uses videogame related jokes..

Thoughts? ._.

2fast4u

Penny Arcade, working out exclusivity deals with (the admittedly dwindling number of) videogame publishers? Are you guys out of your minds?

It may come as a shock to the more rational members of the readership, but we've actually been buried in hate mail today for our quote exclusivity deal unquote. Put aside the fact that such an arrangement would be nearly impossible, not to mention probably illegal.

Do you really think that we would do it? Could do it? I wrote the introduction to Absath's book for Christ sake. I'm a regular Goddamn tyrant.

(CW)TB

there you have it, right the very same page :)

My95ZR2

Ctrl-Alt-Del announced it would be...well, I'll just copy and paste:

---Quote---

Well, my lawyers have just received a notice from the legal representation for Penny Arcade. Turns out they've filed for the "rights in perpetuity to any and all humorous comic interpretations and/or situations arising or inferred from the electronic entertainment industry and/or the products thereof."

Basically translated from "lawyerese", this means that from here on out, Penny Arcade will be the only licensed purveyor of video game humor.

Obviously this comes as quite a blow to Ctrl+Alt+Del, as we here have made our living based off of poking fun at electronic media in all of its forms. Unfortunately the law is the law, and even us independant webcomic artists have to follow it.

Rather than go quietly into the night, I'd like to announce a change of direction for Ctrl+Alt+Del, whereby I plan to take webcomics where they have never gone before. From now on, CAD will focus around two roommates and their love of curtain rods, and the many wacky adventures that ensue. I think you will all enjoy this new turn of events, and I hope you will all stick around to watch it unfold.

---/Quote---

-Adam