What's new

Video card poll

Which DirectX version does your video card support?

• DirectX 9 (Radeon 9500 or better, Geforce FX5200, FX5600 or better)

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • DirectX 8 (Radeon 8500 or better, Geforce 3, TI4200 or better)

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Below DirectX 8 (Radeons below 8500, GF4 MX, GF2 or below, and others)

Votes: 21 25.6%

• Total voters

scotty

The Great One
although most of you have a DX9 card; I still am happy with the fact that my card is now AGP and it is a 128MB card (my old one was a PCI and 64MB). I am not sure what the Radeon 9200 equivalent is to NVidia, but I still think its good.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That card isn't dx9 compliant. More like dx8-. Even if you use dx9, it doesn't support all of its features.

It's amazing how many people who has high-end cards for dx9, though :blink:
I thought there'd be more who had dx8 cards then dx9...but as it seems, the dx8 users are the lowest ones now...

Trotterwatch

I would wager that a not insignifcant minority are putting DX9 as that is the version of DX they are currently using (and not what they should be doing, and putting down the version the card can handle).

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Trotterwatch said:
I would wager that a not insignifcant minority are putting DX9 as that is the version of DX they are currently using (and not what they should be doing, and putting down the version the card can handle).

Yeah. Most aren't aware of the difference between Dx9 "compliant" and Dx9 "Compatible".

Clements

In reality most people still use DX7 cards most, then 8.1/8.0 cards, and least people use 9.0 cards.

Still, a lot of people can use some kind of Pixel Shaders (8.1/8.0 + 9.0 users can use some form of them).

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Using pixel shaders gives very nice result in term of texture combiner.

But, new DX8/9 cards are precessing vertex data really different from older ones.

The software vertex clipper I wrote is totally not necessary for most older cards, but it is the most important for new ones. New cards seem not to be able to render non-clipped primitives. (But old cards are rendering the same primitives very well!) At the same time, OpenGL on the same video cards does not have such problems. I don't understand what the companies are doing with their DirectX drivers.

Doomulation

That's a bummer. Sounds like they need to download a small proggie to tell if they are dx9 compitable or not. Seems like we need a new poll for that, too :satisfied :p

Doomulation

Trotterwatch said:
Hmmm, didn't you make a small proggy like that a while back Doom? Or I am getting you mixed up with someone else.
Oh I did one that checked the shader/pixel version plus the resolution supported & pure hardware check.

I guess that would confuse n00bs and I'd have to change so to make it say if it's DX9 compliant or not.

FAR

First Person Shooter
Tagrineth said:
DX8 is actually quite primitive compared to DX9... and DX10 will put both to shame.

I prefer speed. The new abilities of DX9 does not boost a DX8 card like mine.

Doomulation

FAR said:
Since DirectX remains backwards compitable; it's speed will not drop for apps using older version of directx. Besides, dx9 features many speed optimizations from dx8. Your argument is empty.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
FAR said:

Uh... did you really think it would? You fucking idiot... do you have any idea what DirectX actually does?

FAR

First Person Shooter
Tagrineth said:
Uh... did you really think it would? You fucking idiot... do you have any idea what DirectX actually does?

In fact, I do not have specific technical background knowledge of how DX works. I do only know that under DX9 my machine performed an overall slowdown which has never occured under DX8.1b. I've mentioned only my own experience which does not allow you to use this kind of attitude. If you have problems with controlling yourself, turn to a psychiatrist.

Last edited: