What's new

VBA and hq3x/hq4x?

optimus$prime

hi there

first i'd like to say that vba is the best gb/gba emulator out there.

is it possible to include hq3x/hq4x texture filter for the next release?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
That link was already on this thread and just as outdated as it was last time.

I tried to implement hq4x in the current source code, I failed but it was worth a shot.

Last edited:

Spacy

Sorry, it was late last night and my brother cut the internet connection right after I postet this, should have posted this after doing it first in the other forum, sorry, my mistake.

EDIT:
Maybe you should try adding HQ4X now ;)

Last edited:
OP
optimus$prime

optimus$prime

wow nice comparrison between simple3x and hq3x :happy:
hq4x working now?
could you post some screenshots from hq4x?

awesome work!!!

Spacy

Thanks.

I attached the following pictures:
hq2x.png
hq3x.png
hq4x.png

All are captured in WinGDI mode with 4X Size.
As you see, the image gets sharper, this makes the 800x600 resolutions a up look better than with the old filters.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You could've used a better example pic, that looks horrible. Plus if the filters are that slow on your system then they aren't much good, the Filter implementation of HQ4X in ZSnes is pretty much the best you will find I think, it's perfect 60/60 frames per second.

Spacy

Why should i ise another example pic? I want to show you real game images so that you don't expect mroe than it is in reality.

I know that this is slow, and I know that the only way to real speed up that thing is using the Assemblers sources, but I don't understand much assembler, moreover it would take months (for me) to add this in asm.
And remember that Z-SNES is on the one hand a SNES-Emu (SNES needs less CPU-Power to emulate than GBA) and is on the other hand completely written in Assembler. So maybe ZSNES' filters aren't much faster than my ones, but they only have more CPU-Power to work.
Using 1 skipped frame per second, the game is playable.

Because ngemu is halfway down at the moment, I'll post it here:
Released a WIP exe of my current progress.
HQ3X is working best at the moment. Test it with GDI, DirectDraw or Direct3D.
HQ4x is also working, but only with GDI and DirectDraw.
I tryed for hours to add 16bit support to hq3x, but as you'll see, there are some damn artifacts in it. I have to spend more time on this.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
ZSnes's filters are also a lot smarter than the standard ones, they don't redraw parts of the screen that are unchanged from the last "filter". This increases HQ4x's performance by a staggering amount.

HQ4X is also used as an external filter in Kega Fusion, which barely uses any cpu power on my system either, the moment I start using HQ4X... massive slowdown, so it does matter how it is implemented.

I meant use a game that you can really see an improvement in, that demo looks absolutely appauling with those filters. Then again, it looked appauling to begin with!

I just tried your build hq3x runs perfectly fine, full speed with no frameskip (In GDI mode). Very nicely done.

Btw, Bog standard visualboyadvance never uses more than 40% of my cpu. (it says 20% but I know thats lying, Hyper Threading). That leaves a nasty 60% being sucked up by HQ3X and HQ4X.

Last edited:

Spacy

It's nice that it runs at full speed at your computer. Lol, maybe it's the difference between an Athlon XP 1800+ (which has about 1,5GHz) that I use at my Dev+Internet machine and a Pentium 4 with 3,2GHz. Mopreover I only use a Radeon 9000, but I think this is not very important.

First I'm going to implement the filters so that they run correctly, after that I will maybe add that speed optimization that only refilters certain areas, nice idea ;)

minkster

Wow I like hq4x it totally beats 2xsai by a long shot. Keep it up Spacy. But I did notice that metroid fusion goes blank in game all of a sudden, even if I change the filter to something else. Hmm...mabe I'lll hafta reinstall it. Well good luck on your implementations-minkster

Clements

Worked mostly fine for me. I did get odd video bugs in one game when the screen went black, may have been my fault though. The Yoshi game (whichever it is, don't recognise it) is not the best example to use, I tried Pokemon for it's simple graphics, and there was a nice improvement, same with Mario & Luigi.

I used 1280x1024, D3D, hq3x, bilinear filtering.

Spacy

I found the Yoshi demo somewhere on the net, think it was from Nintendo to show the abilities of the GBA, but you're right, this isn't the best game to show.

I now use Super Mario Advance 4 : Super Mario Brothers 3. This game looks really amazing with HQ4X. :party:

Have a look at the ngemu-Forums thread, i posted a screenshot and a new test-exe there.

Tell me for speed changes in it.

OP
optimus$prime

optimus$prime

congrats to the vbapre2r3!

although i found out that metroid-zero mission and iridion3d don't work correctly. in zero mission menues are working but in the game there are black screens. iridion3d stops at the beginning.
i hope you fix it because i need zero mission in hq4x :bouncy:

how about implementing advancemame scale3x or 4x filters?
in some games they look better then hqx filters
http://scale2x.sourceforge.net/
but in in most games hq is best :p

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
From first examination... HQ4x appears to be working roughly 5% (at most) faster, still a bit too slow even for my system, runs at 75%.

HQ3X appears to be running slower.

Last edited: