What's new

Using the mouse with Ocarina of Time

Dejital

Hey, this isn't a help topic, just my sharing some thoughts.

I had downloaded DarkMan's plugin before and have used it in GoldenEye (it worked pretty well). For those of you who don't know, this is a plugin that allows you to use the mouse as well as the keyboard while playing a game.

It wasn't until today that I played Ocarina of Time and noticed I couldn't hit a darned thing with the slingshot, so I went to DarkMan's plugin for a solution. What I did was add the mouse as a "secondary" to the analog, which means that I can use the keyboard as well as the mouse to move Link. You can obviously guess that moving Link with the mouse will be tedious, so I was glad I could keep the keyboard in there as well.

After doing this, I tested my slingshot and it was a success! Eventually, I started playing again and noticed I could use the mouse in the game's menus, which offers a sort of PC game menu experience. That wasn't the end of my discoveries since I noted that I can also use the mouse to make mild turns with Link, and use the keyboard to make much tighter turns.

Of course, I don't have 3 arms, so I added the left mouse click to the A button as a "secondary" as well as right mouse click to the B button. Didn't take me too long to try the mouse roller as the Z-Trigger.

I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't like my idea. While playing, I have my left arm on the directional keys, holding down on Up to move forward; I use the mouse to make turns and the left mouse click to Roll and the right mouse click to slash at enemies with the sword. The mouse roller works fine with the Z-Target feature quite well also.

I'll add an attachment with my inputs for anybody willing to try. Believe me, this works VERY well.

PS. The plugin is called DarkMan's DInput. I am using version 4.0b.

OP
Dejital

Dejital

spork9 said:
I suppose its an idea worth trying but id rather stick to my n64 adapter
Haha, I wouldn't have even tried this if I had one of those. Remember, my main problem was aiming with the slingshot.

Poobah

You should get an adapter to use one of your game controllers with your PC. I'm using an Xbox controller, and it is awesome!

OP
Dejital

Dejital

I was thinking about buying one. I heard they have a seperate adapter for just about any controller, but I haven't heard of any GameCube + N64 adapters. N64 controllers work better for games like Ocarina of Time, but GameCube controllers are just better.