What's new

Unix = Linux ?????

linemu

Matata said:
8)When I chose to use Spanish as my lenguage in SuSE everything stays in engish, Is it because it´s just a CD Evaluation?

Hmmm..... I wouldn't know the answer to this one. I suppose you should ask it in a linux specific forum.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Thanks linemu! You´re a great help.

So I don´t have to format my harddrive to install linux with XP? You sure? There is no way the files in my HD will be lost because my dad would kill me!

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
I can´t find a hardware compatibility list for suse! There´s not one in the official site... Where can I get one? because I don´t know if my hardware is fully compatible with suse yet...

KDE is already inclueded and installed with SuSE isn´t it?

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Could you make me a list of the most important linux counterparts (i.e:eek:pen-office instead of ms oficce)

Does Norton Systemworks work in SuSE?

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
I have 30 GB of total disk space and 12 GB free. How many GBs would Linux need to work properly?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
RE: anti-virus. The way that linux is designed is so that user level applications can't control the entire system. If you don't always run as root, then for the most part you should be just fine as the virus can't do any system wide damage.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
So I´m safe if I´m using Linux even if I don´t have an anti-virus? How Cool!!!

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Ok, I´m downloading SuSE 9.0, the file is 5 cd´s large, so that should cover pretty much everything I need to use Linux as my main OS, isn´t it?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
AlphaWolf said:
RE: anti-virus. The way that linux is designed is so that user level applications can't control the entire system. If you don't always run as root, then for the most part you should be just fine as the virus can't do any system wide damage.

While i agree that there's no known serious virus on linux, i have a slightly different opinion. I mean, you're using your computer to manipulate your data, not to run an OS, if a viris can attack your own files, it's as bad as if it's attacking the OS. If you lose all your data, what will you do with you perfectly working OS ? I know you're familiar with linux and you know how to protect your data, i'm just answering to your comment because i've seen many people in the past few months believing that linux is a magic thing that always protect your data against everybody, that's false, beginner linux users can be abused like the average windows user.

On linux like on windows, when you have to run a new binary, be a paranoïd and double check the origine of the file. If you don't know exactly what the file is, it's not worth taking the risk. That's the best known antivirus IMO.

Edit: in this post i'm referring to a classical personnal computer use (ie: not a server with thousand users)

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
While were on the subject, what is a good MD5 check summer program? I used to have a good one but cant find it now.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
But where can I get a Linux Anti-Virus then? Also:

Which MSN chat program should I use?
Which Download Manager (like DAP) should I use?
Can I use Kazaa Lite in Linux? And eMule?
Will my HD be formmated when Linux creates the partition to install Linux with XP?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Matata said:
But where can I get a Linux Anti-Virus then? Also:

Which MSN chat program should I use?
Which Download Manager (like DAP) should I use?
Can I use Kazaa Lite in Linux? And eMule?
Will my HD be formmated when Linux creates the partition to install Linux with XP?

Erm, Windows antivirus protects you against well known virus that are spreading widely accross the networks. But it doesn't protect you against a lazy teenager who's sending you a malicious binary that's erasing some of your data... It's the same thing on linux except there's no known big virus like on windows hence you don't need an antivirus, but if you don't take care of what you're doing, you can still have your data corupted by some program like on windows.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
ho, ok, thanks.

And another thing I forgot: Can I use WinRAR in Linux?

linemu

counterpart list:
openoffice = MS office
XMMS = Winamp
Kdevelop = Microsoft visual C++
Gimp = Adobe Photoshop
Evolution = Microsoft Outlook
GAIM = any IM program
I might think of more later. :)

linemu

Matata said:
Thanks linemu! You´re a great help.

So I don´t have to format my harddrive to install linux with XP? You sure? There is no way the files in my HD will be lost because my dad would kill me!

Look at this.
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/linwin.html
It should automatically partition it correctly.
I know how you feel... I accidentally reformatted my dads hard-drive installing SuSE 8.1... 8.1 didn't support XP partitioning :(. Good thing we had just got the computer a couple weeks ago, and not much was on it.
But the new version says it supports XP.

linemu

linemu

Here's some handy links.

HUGE support forum
-www.justlinux.com

eye-candy!
-www.kdelook.org

Lots-o-software
-www.freshmeat.net

GAMES!
-www.happypenguin.org

Linux news!