What's new

Ubisoft call for PS3 price drop!

Jaz

Ex-Mod
An interesting article I found, here.

In comments made to the Bloomberg financial news service, Ubisoft president Yves Guillemot expressed optimism about the prospects for the next-generation videogame consoles, but tempered this confidence by voicing concern regarding the competitive position of Sony's PlayStation 3.

It's not a good sign when developers feel the need to comment on the extreme cost of Sony's machine.

According to the report, Guillemot stated that while Sony's next-generation offering would see "enormous demand" by the system's early-adopters, he was concerned that the system's pricing would present a significant entry barrier to those wanting to purchase the system after its initial appearance.

Call me naive, but I don't think Sony have realised that the brand name won't sell the console on it's own anymore.

Understandable comments from Ubi, in my opinion.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The PS3 prices I have seen are unacceptable, they won't move off the shelf, do sony think we are rich? More or less the PS3 is a luxury item with a price tag like that.

The Xbox 360 and the Wii will slaughter Sony in this generation of console if Sony doesn't get wise to the fact that most people won't even consider a console which is overpriced. I'd rather invest my money in a decent HDTV.

BlueFalcon7

Living in one of the richest towns of America, I have to say, the PS3 is overpriced. There are people in my area who want to get one, but not many of them are going to get it right when it comes out.

Stezo2k

S-2K
About time game devs said something about it.... I thought I was the only one that thought it was overpriced.... A lot of my friends still want it just for the name. I have yet to see a must-have game for it myself

I'll probably end up getting one eventually but i'll be happy with my xbox 360 for a few years :)

WhiteX

They will learn the lesson Nintendo learnt in the past, when you´re on top, the only way to go is down.

Miretank

Lurking
Ubisoft is right, why would them work on a console that might be fated to get dusted over a shelf?

That shall be a warning to Sony. Or Sony make that thing cheaper, or they'll face some catastrophic event on sellings (will be PS3 the new N64? :eek:).

revl8er

That Damn Good
True as those comments are, we still have to wait until its actually released before we know what will actually happen. Sure the ps3 is expensive, but there i'm pretty sure it will sell good either way it goes.

They will learn the lesson Nintendo learnt in the past, when you´re on top, the only way to go is down.

We will see about that. I personally think that Nintendo is gonna take this one, but we still have to see which console will take 2nd.

WhiteX

The Xbox 360 has the edge of the early start, it has a different target than the Wii, the same games as Sony besides the first parties and it is cheaper.

for me it will be, Wii, X360 and Donald Trump with his PS3.

bcrew1375

I'm guessing whichever system gets the "gotta have em'" games is going to sell, even if people have to give an arm and a leg for it.

WhiteX

That is subjective, for some a GTA game is a "must have" and both the X360 and the PS3 will have them, for others it is a pokemon or a Zelda game and Wii alone will hold these, for me Megaman is a must have, so i got a DS.

BlueFalcon7

I dont really know about the must have stuff, there are some idiots on other forums I belong to, and they want MGS4, and the final fantasy series. I tell them that the PS3 is really going to be $500 and they dont beleive me.

Anyways I always wondered, where is it officially written, and confirmed by sony that the PS3 will be $500 basic? (I think I read it, but Im not sure)

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Stezo2k said:
About time game devs said something about it....

Indeed.

I wonder if it'll put off some devs for making games for it full stop?

Stezo2k

S-2K
Jaz said:
Indeed.

I wonder if it'll put off some devs for making games for it full stop?
Yeah I recon it'll happen, especially smaller developers...

Speaking of which, we had to have some product training from this lady from sony earlier. I was asking questions and she didnt know half the stuff. I was dying to laugh