What's new

Things a bit slow for my config..

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
PJ64 seems to be running excetionally slow on my PC (specs below).. I don't know why. It ran fine on my p3 coppermine 1GHz with 128mb ram.. it runs at full speed, but I'm not getting half as much idle time as I should.. sometimes audio crackles aswell, just out of no where (Jabo's D3D6 1.5, Jabo's Dsound 1.5, Jabo's Dinput7). It gets to about 11% idle, at the most. W/O frame limit i hit about 67fps, at the most. If i turn off audio it stays the same.. maybe 1% more idle time, but that's about it. Should be quite a bit more, no? Are there any specific Dets I should use for this card? Anything? It's been stressng me out lately. :puke:

jollyrancher

The video card and drivers probably aren't the problem... I play on a friend's P4 with the same Geforce MX (28.XX drivers) with no slowdown. And the audio pops are usually CPU-related. I forget if you can run PJ64 in 16-bit like you can in 1964, but I know this speeds up Majora's Mask.

Mime

Verify with there is someone program located in the memory, and remember (keep that in your mind) Win98 doesn't manage memory up to 128Mb, so if can try another s.o. your test will be better.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
A quick defrag and things are much better. Perfect audio with much better idle time. I think I'll buy some more RAM today and see if it helps any more.. 192mb really isn't enough.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
RJARRRPCGP said:
Are you using onboard sound? If you are, that's probably the cause.

Nope. Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1, which is by all means a good card. I'm no longer having any problems since i defragged.. this card helped crackling a bit too.

Remote

Mime said:
Verify with there is someone program located in the memory, and remember (keep that in your mind) Win98 doesn't manage memory up to 128Mb, so if can try another s.o. your test will be better.

I'm pretty sure W98 handles up to 512Mb RAM...