What's new

The perfect graphics card...

Ichiban

Hello all! How are you? Or should I say, "Konnichi wa ogenki desu ka?" Anyways, I need some help deciding on a great graphics card. Since we are all educated people in computers, I feel that I can get a great new computer with some kick ass requirements! I am on my way to getting a new computer. I just need some help on what to get. I was thinking on building it myself but I would save myself some time by buying me one. Feel free everyone to drop me some helpful opinions. Everyone and their opinion is important. Hopefully I can get some help from the moderators and programmers of Dolphin as well! That will be awesome!! I am so excited!:bouncy: Arigatou gozaimasu! Dewa mata! (Thank you! See you later!)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Are you planning to run dolphin at decent speeds? If so, then you will fail utterly, because at this point in time, it is impossible.
You should specify for what you want the computer, as much as you are willing to spend, so members can help you pick your specs to suit your needs.
Mata ne.

Blacklord

Banned
another good tip would be to assemble the comp yourself. That way u can get the results you want. Otherwise its kindda hard to find a ready assembled comp with everything you need.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Doomulation said:
Are you planning to run dolphin at decent speeds? If so, then you will fail utterly, because at this point in time, it is impossible.
You should specify for what you want the computer, as much as you are willing to spend, so members can help you pick your specs to suit your needs.
Mata ne.
I don't agree with doomulation that often :p but this time I do.
You shouldn't be buying a new computer just for dolphin (see FAQ/HELP/README for multiple reasons).

If you gonna buy a new pc, just make sure it has a 64 bit processors and/or dualcore. With a good videocard which supports pixelshaders 2.0/3.0.

All that limits you is your wallet and imagination ;)

OP
I

Ichiban

This is not for Dolphin at all. This is just for emulation and other applications period. I know Dolphin will still run the same no matter what. I am just in need of an upgrade. I feel my computers are outdated. By having some of the best components in my new PC, I can finish the coding project for my PS2 emulator I put together and find out did I do my C++ projects correctly. Thank you all for your opinions! I am willing to spend either a little or alot of money. It doesn't matter. I just would like to finish the projects I had started. That is all.:)

Last edited:

Doomulation

Then why did you post in the dolphin section?
If you do not care about games, then all you would need is fast processor. An Athlon64 3800+ might be suitable, since it is relatively powerful and cheap and can be overclocked.

DOGG

Here's what i built for myself:

Case/PSU: Antec Sonata II (comes with smartpower 2 PSU)
Mobo: Any good mobo with nforce4 ultra chipset
RAM: something cheap but OK like OCZ performance, 2x512 or 2x1024 kit depending on what u want
CPU: Definitely a 3700+ san diego
Cooling: standard
vid card: worry later

This is basically what i built for myself. I'll copy & paste it

DOGG said:
3700+ san diego ($338)
1 gig ocz ram preformance
nforce 4 ultra
standard cooling

Defaults:
HHT Bus: 5x200=1000 mhz
CPU: 200x11=2200 mhz
RAM: 200 mhz

OC'd:
HHT Bus: 4x258.84=1035.36 mhz
CPU: 258x11=2847.22 mhz
RAM: 203.37 mhz

Beats:
Intel Pentuim 4 Extreme Edition 3.73ghz (prescott core) $1606.00
Intel Pentuim 4 Extreme Edition 3.46ghz (gellatin core) $1760.00
AMD Athlon64 FX-57 2.8ghz $1375.00

Overclocking an a64 is much different to older athlons...

Doomulation

Why have you not included your specs in your profile? Recommending something is based on what you're willing to pay also, naturally, so if you recommend the athlon64 3700+, then I recommend the X2 3800+. Dual core and as you know, dual cores are highly overclockable.

Clements

Yar. The X2 3800+ is roughly the same price as the 3700+ San Diego in the UK. I myself had to make the decision between these two processors, but decided on the 3800+. It may not have the single-threaded performance at stock as a 3700+ as it is clocked 200MHz slower - but as soon as you open a single-threaded application that uses a lot of CPU (like an emulator or running virus scanner) a PC with a single core CPU will become less responsive at the very best. With dual-core this is not a problem as you have the other core. In multi-threaded applications, the 3800+ is able to match and beat an FX-57 too (with both at stock).

Then again, everybody is buying Opterons nowadays instead, as they overclock more than current Athlon64s.

Last edited:

Doomulation

But are more expensive. Dual core is also the future, or well, multiple cores are, at the very least since both intel and amd is beginning to hit the roof with clock speeds.

DOGG

I'd recommend a 4400 or 4800 for dual core simply because of the extra 512K of cache per core.

A 4400 is clocked at 2200mhz which is like a stock san diego. Pretty much identical besides the extra core. The 4800 runs at 2400.

$AU

AMD San Diego 3700+ / 4000+ (2200, 2400mhz)
$325 / $490

AMD x2 Dual Core 4400+ / 4800+ (2200, 2400mhz)
$685 / $950