What's new

Temp too high?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Well, I just recently overclocked my cpu by increasing the fsb on my bios. Cpu temperature now averages about 54C, is that too high? Or do you think I can crank it up a bit more?

Acorn

Non overclocked my case temp is usually about 23 degrees C. Overclocked, it goes up to 30 degrees C. So ya, 54 as the case temp is a little bit high, whats your CPU running at?

Trotterwatch

If it doesn't go much above 54C full load then I don't believe there is anything wrong with it. If it's at low load, then I'd monitor it closely.

I don't know how you do this, but an athlon on 54 degrees is very low for an overclocked athlon, and maybe you should try a higher speed. The normal temperature of an athlon can go up to 90 degrees, so you can try more speed.

OP
R

ra5555

N64 Newbie
thnx everyone, but I am getting conflicting reports?

I think I will just stay where I am at,

thanks again

by the way 54 degrees is like after I turn on computer for about 35min I did play some games, seems stable. I used to have about 48C for my unoverclocked Athlon

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
mightyrocket said:
I don't know how you do this, but an athlon on 54 degrees is very low for an overclocked athlon, and maybe you should try a higher speed. The normal temperature of an athlon can go up to 90 degrees, so you can try more speed.

he wasn't talking about farenheit temp... he was talking about celsius :getlost:

Acorn

90 degrees cel would hurt (192 deg farenheit).

90 dergees farenheit is on the low end of the chip tempature, mine is running at 92 (on chip) right now non overclocked.

Did a little research, you should be able to take it up to 60 in the case and still be ok, but even then its going to decrease the overall life of the chip. Is the few extra mhz (prolly less than a fps in most games) worth the chip burning out months to years before it normally would?

If you seriously want to take up overclocking get a Prometiea (little bit out of my price range, but still cheaper than most other advanced cooling systems, and 100x as good).

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021230/

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
I'm having an issue with this as well.

I have a 1.4 Athlon that's underclocked to 1313mhz because it tends to hover around 70-77 C at full speed. I've tried a few different fans, and I'm still having problems. Do I maybe have bad heat sink paste? I'm only using a very thin coat.

BTW, underclocked with no load it runs about 59-65 C. Things seem to run ok, but I noticed a slight shaving off the top of the chip itself a few months ago. In fact, the only lockups I generally get are video related (IE, I switch from Jabos to Glide64, and I ususally wind up having to reboot).

Acorn

Weird. A super thin coating of thermal paste should do, all the thermal paste has to do is seal the area between the chip and the heatsink - so there are no air pockets to prevent heat transfer.

gokuss4 said:
he wasn't talking about farenheit temp... he was talking about celsius :getlost:
I was talking about Celsius. It's impossible to have a CPU on 48 Fahrenheit (excepting when you turn the computer off :p ). I've heard storys of people which are working on 90 Celsius without problems. I've heard a story about someone who didn't know that his cooler was broken and has worked for a year on 150 ((!) ) Celsius!

Flash

Technomage
mightyrocket said:

90C isn't normal temperature but 60-70 is (for Athlon)