What's new

sync audio

mmcoder

I know that if you enable sync audio you get smooth sound, but with a few FPS lost. Is this because I need more CPU power or is it a flaw? Or is it that, with enough CPU, I could leave sync disabled and get no skips? I think that if it stayed a constant 57 FPS it would be undetectable, it's the fluctuations that I think make it appear jerky. I asked this question way back in the PJ64 v1.0 days and Azimer was still trying to solve it, so I think it's time to ask again :)

I have a 1200mhz t-bird @200 mhz bus, 384 megs ram @100, Geforce 2 PRO

DakkonB

HAHA i see your problem

When will you guys realiz DDR is king, go put your 100-133 Mhz ram out to pasture, I have 512 megs of crucial 2100 and I get 60fps, period. sync on/off, dont matter...
some other factors to my awesome preformance..
DASP (<---my fav)
Tweak XP (loading the entire kernel into DDR)
FSB 310Mhz (Rock solid thnx to nForceo yeah, i get 60 fps using the integrated video....

DakkonB

Your not serious are you??

Go back to jr high and take basic computer training... HAHA, what does ram have to do with preformance... HAHA!!

Slougi

What the fuck does DDR have to do with performance? It's more the amount of ram then the speed that's important....
Well I have never had any probs with sybc audio, I leave it turned on and have never noticed any difference to it being turned of except for better audio, I still get 60fps using it. :)
Nothing to complain :p

DakkonB

first things first

DDR handles more data/sec than 133 SDRAM=preformance
but yeah Ive left it on since I got PJ64 too, gawd I love this emu
:pj64: FOREVER!

Triz

i have 384megs of pc133 ram and i have left snyc audio since 1.3 and i still get 60fps, and these are in complex games like zelda:MOM where ever it is wether the overworld or against a boss etc nothing drops :D

OP
mmcoder

mmcoder

Triz said:
i have 384megs of pc133 ram and i have left snyc audio since 1.3 and i still get 60fps, and these are in complex games like zelda:MOM where ever it is wether the overworld or against a boss etc nothing drops :D

I suspected that was possible. What kind of CPU/motherboard/video card are you using?

Triz

my sys specs

its a pentium pro 16mb ram j/k :p
its a PIII 800EB @ 840mhz
384MB PC-133 Hyundai ram
Asus ApolloPro133A
MSIGeforce2PRO 64MB DDR (hehe my 3dmark scores with this thing are comparable to a Geforce2Ultra! :D)

DakkonB

gawd I love nVidia....

once you have a Geforce2Mx chip somewhere (properly installed =]) in your compy, speed issues dont exist, PJ64 1.4 only takes 15% of my cpu cause my chip is soldered to my board... :D
:pj64:

PuterFr3ak

I feel the performance hit

I easily lose 45+ frames when I enable Audio Sync. I admnit it sounds much better (don't have that small paper crumpling sound) but the performance hit is a bit too much. For those wondering specs below:

T-bird @ 1.4 ghz
pc2100 256 crucial
Vistiontek Geforce3
Sb Live! (old one) X-gamer

...btw, when I disable audio sync and frame limit, man the games scream at about 145 fps :D. Too bad it takes such a hit :devil:. In any case, the best N64 emu out there BarNone!