What's new

Switching framerate 50 -> 60

n00by duddy

hello,

As you may know Project64 can't play PAL games at 60fps and this really piss off a lot of us
someone know a way to hack the PAL roms so that they run at 60fps?
i've already tried to hack the region code but this alone doesn't work (game doesn't boot)
I'm pretty sure there's a way to do that cause Master quest is a hacked PAL rom and it runs a 60fps!

thanks

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Can't be done, mate. Unless you re-program the entire game. The games are simply not designed to run at 60 fps.

loopsider

For one, it is playing at 50 VI/s. Does are not real Frames per second, but rather how much the TV would be refreshing itself. In europe, they are 50 Vertical refreshes a second (VI/s). Of course Europeans do not find their game any slower, they have the same FPS, just under their system of TV function. It does NOT run any slower, use glide64 and show FPS, and you will see both games run at the same FPS (be it 20, or 30, or 60, depends on the game).

gandalf

Member ready to help
It´s possible, but in PJ64 v1.3, in the INI settings you can chose the max vi/s.but a PAL game running at 60 vi/s ,you´ll se it really fast

OP
N

n00by duddy

Doomulation said:
Can't be done, mate. Unless you re-program the entire game. The games are simply not designed to run at 60 fps.

lol, please no reply if you have no hacking knowledge
that's as funny as saying i can't run pal snes carts at 60fps...

OP
N

n00by duddy

well hacking my roms is not a problem as long as I keep them in my hdd
(don't you keep hacked/translated snes games in your hdd?)
the reason why i want to use pal roms is english isn't my natural language

unfortunately hacking the region alone doesn't work :bye3:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
why would you ever want to do this? if you're playing it on your PC, it makes no difference. the only valid reason would be if you wanted to play the PAL rom on the NTSC N64 hardware (which would also involve an unmentionable backup system), and therefore had to hack it. otherwise there's no point...

Doomulation

n00by duddy said:
lol, please no reply if you have no hacking knowledge
that's as funny as saying i can't run pal snes carts at 60fps...
They're not designed to run at 60 fps, dammit. Use mupen and increase the VI rate if you want, but it'll only run faster than it should.

Chris_W

As pointless as this really is, you can just use the (U) version, it isnt impossible for some games to be crossed over (converted) like:
1080 Snowboarding, Aeroguage, Super Mario 64 etc.

all you do is make your Rom a .z64 extention (Big Endian) and open it in Hex Workshop.

for this example i will use Aeroguage.

open Aeroguage (E) (M3) [!] at the very top will look like this:

[email protected]...:6........AEROGAUGE .......NAGP.

Now open Aeroguage (U) [!] and at the very top will look like this:

[email protected]>.qFK........AEROGAUGE .......NAGE.

Ok so what is needed for this game this run and be recognised as a USA 60?

just change the (E) (M3) [!] NAGP - NAGE and save as the original file.

when you open it up it will now play at 60 fps and in rom info tell you that it is now the USA rom.

as i say this only works on some roms but if you try looking for others im sure you will find some that work just as well.

but you can try making PAL - NTSC and visa versa to see what roms actualy do convert over.

i would also suggest you making a list as you go along of Games that can be crossed over this way.

just remeber that:

Pal 50 FPS

(E) = P
(A) = U
(F) = F
(G) = D
(I) = I
(S) = S

NTSC 60 FPS

(J) = J
(U) = E
(JU) = A

you will soon know if a game is now broken because it will seem to be running at 60 fps but there will be no Video, but try Aeroguage like the example above and you will find it work just fine.

happy hacking and good luck

Last edited:
OP
N

n00by duddy

@Cris_W
well it may appear pointless to you to play legend of zelda in your natural language
then go and play the japanese version... :p
as I stated before english isn't my natural language and I want to enjoy zelda in my language and real speed (pal games are horribly slow about 20% slower)
I tried to hack the region code before but I thought it was only one byte
so I tested with the four bytes and it worked great!!
the game runs at the same speed as the NTSC versions and there are no graphic glitches.
So I can finally enjoy the game the way it's meant to be, can't I?
actually there's a damn last thing bothering me, the sounds are too fast
(which mean the pal carts were hacked so that the sound runs 20% faster than the video)
dammit!! I'll try to work out this sound problem
thx

Doomulation

I don't think that's possible unless you hack the emulator directly. The only and best way I say to fix this is to get the ntsc version.

Remote

If you have a PAL n64 and a NTSC-PAL converter and NTSC games won't the games run about 20% faster? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.. Sounds very reasonble since the diff in scanlines is about 20% or something..