What's new

Suggestions for 0.25a (and praise for 0.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darkfalz79

This is what I had been waiting for ever since seeing my DC running on the VGA box, to be able to, some day, see how these amazing games would look in high res with FSAA.

It's finally happened! And a lot sooner than I thought. Some of these games look like prerendered CG art. The poly count on some of these DC models is impressive and severely limited at the native 640x480 DC resolution. The best thing to look at are the Soul Calibur katas, which run full speed at 1024x768 4xFSAA 8xAF for me and look absolutely incredible. Better models than any PC games I've seen barring the Nvidia Dawn and Dusk demos.

Okay here are some minor suggestions for a bugfix release, if it happens:

* Windowed mode should be fixed to 640x480 (or seperate setting), the higher res should only be for fullscreen mode.
* A minimise button and stop Chankast from being always on top (hard to look at walkthroughs, cheats or other windows etc.).
* Default input plugin is buggy (can't assign my gamepad d-pad to the digital d-pad, mapped keyboard keys don't seem to work in some games like Shenmue).
* Save all settings like display stats on/off etc.
* There must be some way to run original GD-ROM isos? Perhaps a plugin will support this, it's impossible to make a self boot out of some of them (protections or size reasons) and thus impossible to make a working Alcohol 120% image either. So I can't play my legal and complete games, which ironically should be the only games which should be played.

Well that's all I have for now, I know that compatibility and graphics glitches aren't going to be easy fixes. The SH4 emulation seems pretty much complete, as very few games crash or don't work, just the PVR2 that has varying degrees of glitchiness.

Well done!

jareg

Just A Guy
You sound like you giving them Orders or something :plain:
Dont worry I think they now what they will fix :bouncy:

mezkal

Man on a mission
Darkfalz. Nice post - though I think Jaregs has a point. Either way, have u had a look @ UT 2004 on recent Nvidia Chipsets (5600++). Wow - seriously puts this game to shame model and texture wise - even without FSAA. On the hand the mo-capped Katas do look amazing and yes they still bring a tear to me old eyes :)

Cheers,

mezkal

n00by duddy

The chankast team is really busy and asked not to request features for some time
imho most of your request are bullcrap

ssj2joe

I agree with everything he said except for the resolutition changes he preposed. The current feature is better than his idea.

OP
D

Darkfalz79

> imho most of your request are bullcrap

Asking for a minimise button is bullcrap? Wanting to use a higher resolution in full screen but not wanting half the window off screen in windowed mode is bullcrap? Honestly, I've never understood other people who feel the need to shoot down small suggestions (as opposed to shooting down d00dz who make ridiculous and ignorant ones). But I guess you need something to feel important about.

Everything I mentioned was COSMETIC, and nothing to do with the emulation. In other words, simple features. I'm a software coder myself so I'm familiar with user-friendliness.

jdsony

Darkfalz79 said:
> imho most of your request are bullcrap

Asking for a minimise button is bullcrap? Wanting to use a higher resolution in full screen but not wanting half the window off screen in windowed mode is bullcrap? Honestly, I've never understood other people who feel the need to shoot down small suggestions (as opposed to shooting down d00dz who make ridiculous and ignorant ones). But I guess you need something to feel important about.

Everything I mentioned was COSMETIC, and nothing to do with the emulation. In other words, simple features. I'm a software coder myself so I'm familiar with user-friendliness.

I see nothing wrong with what you said. I prefer to have my window mode in 640x480 as well. It's pointless to have the window mode any bigger unless you are running your desktop in 1600x1200 res or higher. I suppose a seperate res for window and full screen might be added in the future as it is with many other emulators.

Clements

What exact part of:

unai said:
P.D: We are quite busy now, we are working REALLY hard to bring you the next Chankast, so please don't ask for any feature for a while...

...did you not understand? No feature requests. I would have expected more from a returning banned user :p

jareg

Just A Guy
Clements said:
What exact part of:

...did you not understand? No feature requests. I would have expected more from a returning banned user :p

is a banned user and still posted such a weird post :p
Isit XBOX :whistling

-Shadow-

Banned
Clements said:
...did you not understand? No feature requests. I would have expected more from a returning banned user

How did you find that out , i mean that he's been banned before ?! 1337 Hexx0r ? Magician ? I mean , the IP can be changed easily ( ok , the work is bigger with a router ) :D

Clements

He was Darkfalz before. He just changed his name by two characters, and their IPs are almost identical, and they use the same dial-up service. Either that or it is a massive coincidence. ;)

suronosuke

Darkfalz79 said:
This is what I had been waiting for ever since seeing my DC running on the VGA box, to be able to, some day, see how these amazing games would look in high res with FSAA.

It's finally happened! And a lot sooner than I thought. Some of these games look like prerendered CG art. The poly count on some of these DC models is impressive and severely limited at the native 640x480 DC resolution. The best thing to look at are the Soul Calibur katas, which run full speed at 1024x768 4xFSAA 8xAF for me and look absolutely incredible. Better models than any PC games I've seen barring the Nvidia Dawn and Dusk demos.

Okay here are some minor suggestions for a bugfix release, if it happens:

* Windowed mode should be fixed to 640x480 (or seperate setting), the higher res should only be for fullscreen mode.
* A minimise button and stop Chankast from being always on top (hard to look at walkthroughs, cheats or other windows etc.).
* Default input plugin is buggy (can't assign my gamepad d-pad to the digital d-pad, mapped keyboard keys don't seem to work in some games like Shenmue).
* Save all settings like display stats on/off etc.
* There must be some way to run original GD-ROM isos? Perhaps a plugin will support this, it's impossible to make a self boot out of some of them (protections or size reasons) and thus impossible to make a working Alcohol 120% image either. So I can't play my legal and complete games, which ironically should be the only games which should be played.

Well that's all I have for now, I know that compatibility and graphics glitches aren't going to be easy fixes. The SH4 emulation seems pretty much complete, as very few games crash or don't work, just the PVR2 that has varying degrees of glitchiness.

Well done!

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=21996

Status
Not open for further replies.