What's new

Startropics for NES

xamenus

Has anyone played "Startropics (U)" for the NES on an emulator? With every emulator I've tried special items do not appear in the inventory, making it impossible to progress through the game. I first discovered this problem in this thread, but nothing helps. If anyone has any ideas or has played through this game with no problems please reply, I'd like to see this game working properly. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

scotty

The Great One
Its probably a bad ROM It must be a pain especially trying to beat the chapter 2 boss without freezing him.

My rom works. I admit I first had an overdumped version of it, but I found the good version of this ROM. What a great game, I wonder why they stopped making this and Punchout (I Guess Genyo Takeda wanted to stick to making hardware for Nintendo).

OP
X

xamenus

Which dump are you using? Could you scan it with the latest GoodNES? I've tried "Startropics (U)" and a few months ago I believe I tried "Startropics (E) [!]" with no success...maybe you could post a screenshot of the game with a special item would be nice just so that I'll know it's possible. Thanks.

OP
X

xamenus

Arrrgh, I've tried several dumps of this game and none work! Your rom must have some setting in it that GoodNES doesn't recognize. Wish I had an IPS patch to fix it. :( I wish someone with a working dump would post as much info about their rom as possible (mapper number, mirroring, CRC, etc.).

By the way, this may be a dumb question but...
The snowman doll is supposed to appear in one of the four boxes for your inventory, isn't it? Do you have to press all the buttons at once for it to appear or something? Yeah, I know it's a dumb question, but with the dumps I've tried it's looking like it's impossible to get this item. :crazy:

I just got done playing this game on Jnes 0.5.3 and I had no issues.
Actually, the snowman doll and other items go to the magic items inventory, which you must pause the game and either go up or down to access the list.
Now you should see the snowman doll (or other items).

OP
X

xamenus

Damn, I am such a dumbass! :p

It's been ages since I played this game (well over 10 years). But back then I probably didn't even get far enough in the game to use special items anyway. Anyway, problem solved. The "Startropics (U)" dump works just fine. Thank you very much for solving this URAMetroid! :)