What's new

Sound Ripping???

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Anyone knows a good sound ripping tool for N64 Roms?
N64 games have some of the best tunes ever, in general, and mp3s are hard to find....
I found a tool named "Sound Bk Ripper" but it doesn't work

Clements

You can create .WAV files using PJ64's Jabo's DirectSound or some of Azimer's sound plugins, using the logger function. Then, convert the WAVs to MP3s. I don't know of a way to extract the music from the roms directly.

OP
Imgema

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Well i guess logging in to .WAV files seems the only way so far...
I've already already used this cool feature and created many songs, but sometimes there are annoyng sound effects in the backround like in Zora's cave (Oot) for example. A tool however could rip clean, sfx free, music.

Flash

Technomage
Clements said:
You can create .WAV files using PJ64's Jabo's DirectSound or some of Azimer's sound plugins, using the logger function. Then, convert the WAVs to MP3s. I don't know of a way to extract the music from the roms directly.

There's no other way because N64 doesn't use audio streams for music - they're just too big to fit in cartridge, even compressed.
N64 uses wavetable synthesis instead.

smegforbrain

Flash said:
There's no other way because N64 doesn't use audio streams for music - they're just too big to fit in cartridge, even compressed.

Actually, I'm curious about that, if anybody can answer it:

How are the game files for N64 and such so small?
I know carts are limited compared to cd's, but it still seems amazing how they're no bigger than 32meg or anything.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Flash said:

I though top gear overdrive used mp3s....

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Conkers Bad Fur Day uses MP3 for speech (look at the text at the start of the game if you don't believe me) so the point that compressed audio is too big for carts is now invalidated. even the smallest roms are big enough to store a few of these quite easily.

Solidus777

Guy Who Does Stuff
Perfect Dark also uses Mp3's, probably just for the guard speech. Proven by the screen shown at startup (Mpeg Layer 3 support provided by *forgot name of company*).

Flash

Technomage
Sayargh said:
Conkers Bad Fur Day uses MP3 for speech (look at the text at the start of the game if you don't believe me) so the point that compressed audio is too big for carts is now invalidated. even the smallest roms are big enough to store a few of these quite easily.

Wait a minute... Aren't we talking about music ? It was better to name this thread "Music ripping".

For speech 11кHz or even 8kHz is more than enough because frequency range of human voice is about 120-3000Hz and it's not so loud. You can
store up to few thousands of such "uh ! oh!" , "affirmative !" :)

But for music 11K means really ugly sound. Typical size of medium quality (128kbps) mp3 music file (up to 5 mins) is about 2-6Mb. And there's more than one music track in game so compressed music streams
is too big for carts (at least for home console carts, some arcade machines have compressed audio streams in roms (Killer Instinct, it uses
hdd for everything but music and program code, Cruis'n xx and other Midway games ), but it's a different story, right ? And different price...)

Last edited:

Reznor007

N64 music is basically MIDI the same way most older consoles are. NSF, SPC, GYM, PSF are all essentially sequenced music formats that play back the original MIDI code from the game(it's not really MIDI but you get the idea). One for N64 could probably be done, but it's more complex since N64 had no dedicated sound chip(music/sound was done on the RCP and main CPU).

It is true that the entire Killer Instinct 2 arcade sound/music ROMs are 4MB unzipped. However, it is an MPEG-like format in mono. For a game like Mario64(8MB ROM) dedicating 1/2 the space to music isn't practical.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Flash said:
Wait a minute... Aren't we talking about music ? It was better to name this thread "Music ripping".

For speech 11кHz or even 8kHz is more than enough because frequency range of human voice is about 120-3000Hz and it's not so loud. You can

But for music 11K means really ugly sound. Typical size of medium quality (128kbps) mp3 music file (up to 5 mins) is about 2-6Mb. And there's more than one music track in game so compressed music streams
is too big for carts (at least for home console carts, some arcade machines have compressed audio streams in roms (Killer Instinct, it uses
hdd for everything but music and program code, Cruis'n xx and other Midway games ), but it's a different story, right ? And different price...)

Sorry to the say the same thing again, but i think that the music in Top gear overdrive is in mp3s (and it even from a band, dunno what now). I think that was displayed in the game credits.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Flash said:

What, medium quality mp3 = 128kbit/s? You kiddin' me? 64kbit is enough really. If using about such low, then it could fit nicely.

themind

a.k.a. hcs
Something of a bump and a different topic

Reznor007 said:
It is true that the entire Killer Instinct 2 arcade sound/music ROMs are 4MB unzipped. However, it is an MPEG-like format in mono. For a game like Mario64(8MB ROM) dedicating 1/2 the space to music isn't practical.

I've recently ripped Mario 64's sound code + sequences + samples and it comes to about 1 MB unzipped.
I've done this to try and work out an N64 music format, still in development at press time (though I do have Mario 64 ripped and a somewhat buggy Winamp plugin).

Reznor007

themind said:
I've recently ripped Mario 64's sound code + sequences + samples and it comes to about 1 MB unzipped.
I've done this to try and work out an N64 music format, still in development at press time (though I do have Mario 64 ripped and a somewhat buggy Winamp plugin).

That sounds about right. A small MIDI-like format player, a few MIDI files, and some samples.

Does the Mario music code run on the R4300 or the RCP?

themind

a.k.a. hcs
Sound is generated both by the CPU and the RSP. The CPU runs the actual MOD player and the RSP is used to do the audio synthesis.

I've also finished a PilotWings 64 rip, it comes to 826,977 bytes.
And SM64 was 1,235,018 bytes.

Both before compression.