What's new

Sound question

gogododo_313

The one and only
First i want to say yes i am a noob, hold the applause :sleepy: . I've been trying out Project64 and it runs fine graphically. If i turn off the sound it works absolutly perfect. But one thing i can't fix is my sound. When i start up a game (i'll use Mario64 as an example) i'll start it up and it's like skipping. Mario is like... "it...a.. mee.... ario!!", ya know, the normal sound problem. I've tried configuring the plugin but there's only two boxes you can change. So i've looked for other sound plugins and found Azimer's audio .30 rev 2.2 driver, that's the ONLY driver i can find, maybe i'm just not looking in the right places or something but i fail to find any other sound plugin. Azimer's works better than Jabo's 1.4 and Zilmar's (the ones that came with Project64), and is less skippy, i changed a few settings in the audio configuration and it works a little better, but it's still very skippy. I'm sure i'm just missing something very simple, but any help would be appreciated. btw.. my system specs are..

amd athlonxp 1800+
MSI K7t266 pro2
Geforce2mx 400
40gig maxtor hd

i'm using onboard sound, the ac97* audio i believe, although i did install a soundblaster live 5.1 from my other comp to check to see if it was my sound card but i had the exact same problems so i put it back in my other comp.

Ed

OP
gogododo_313

gogododo_313

The one and only
what sound plugin and settings are you using stezo? i'd like to try out some others to see if that helps.

Allnatural

There are only three, Zilmar's, Jabo's and Azimer's. Azimer's is generally better for low-end systems, but your system isn't low-end. I'm willing to bet that something in the background is hitting your CPU and stealing cycles that PJ64 could use. If that's not the case then continue to use Azimer's audio, but make sure you check "Send audio lists..." in the RSP configuration.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
not to bash Azimer's at all, 'cos it's a great piece of work, but just to say I've always got much better sound quality from Jabo's plugin, on a whole range of PCs from 650Mhz to 1.2Ghz... the system as a whole also runs much better with Jabo's than anything else (probably Azimer is using a higher priority or something). So don't take it for granted that you'll get better results from Azimer's, even if you can adjust the buffering etc.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
For me, if I use Jabo's DirectSound 1.40, Goldeneye 007 works fine but Banjo-Kazooie gives me no sound. If I use Azimer's 0.40 Beta 1, the situation is reversed! Goldeneye 007 is still too jerky to play though, so I always use Azimer's.

OP
gogododo_313

gogododo_313

The one and only
seems to be working now

cool, thanks a lot guys, i turned on "send audio lists to audio plugin" and it did the same thing for a minute or two, but then cleared right up! it seems to be working now. jabo's and zilmar's won't give me any sound at all on that setting, but azimer's is working fine, there are glitches here and there but overall it's tolerable. i'll have to test out a few more games and see how things are. thanks again. i'll be back with more questions on graphics soon :D

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
plugin this.. plugin that,
i never changed any plugins, everything seems to work fine by me.. except a couple games.. like evangelion, etc ones with known errors