What's new

Sound problems

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
i recommend you read this then. you gonna tell me steinberg dont have a clue what their on about either?

http://service.steinberg.net/knowle...67E18C406CE0356FC1256AB5003B6491?OpenDocument

and yes i do know what im on about, ive seen enough people mention it, tried it myself and turning it off got rid of any sound problems i had and also as a result my system was a lot more stable.

ive never liked sharing IRQ's i think its a very bad idea, and Sound Blaster live! cards are very picky as it is, so its best give them as little as possible to pick at.

btw i make music too, plus im in a community of quite a few other producers (some even have releases) n they know what theyre on about.

Edit: oh and i found this as well, taken from a PDF released by the makers of Gigastudio, the original document can be found HERE

ACPI
Another critical install detail is ACPI mode. ACPI, or Advanced Configuration and Power
Interface, is designed to help allocate system resources to more efficiently run peripheral
devices. For an audio machine, though, it’s been reported to cause some performance
problems due to its assigning all devices to a single IRQ.
During the install process, when the on-screen message appears “press F6 to install
additional drivers for third party SCSI drivers or mass storage devices,” press F5 instead.
When the screen appears giving you a choice between “ACPI-PC” and “standard PC”
mode, select “standard pc”.
Here’s a tip: If you’ve upgraded to Windows XP you may find it’s lost one important
feature: when turning off your PC (Start/Turn Off Computer/Turn Off), WinXP goes through
its usual "Windows is shutting down" routine, but it doesn't turn off the computer. The
power stays on, with Windows helpfully informing you that it is indeed safe to turn off your
computer now, until you manually punch the "off" button. This usually occurs if you’ve
opted to leave ACPI disabled. To fix this, you may want to enable APM (Advanced
Power Management).

Last edited:

mezkal

Man on a mission
refraction said:
i recommend you read this then. you gonna tell me steinberg dont have a clue what their on about either?

http://service.steinberg.net/knowle...67E18C406CE0356FC1256AB5003B6491?OpenDocument

Do you have any IDEA how old that is??? Do you also really understand why it was written?? I doubt you have an answer so I'll tell you.

Back in 2001 when XP was in Beta (NT 5.1Beta) ACPI was dodgy because the promise of APIC hadn't evolved yet on motherboards or CPUs and it WAS a waste of resources. True, BUT that was THEN and this is NOW.

A Direct Quote from the page you refer too

"Please note that if your motherboard offers APIC (see "Motherboards with extended interrupt controllers (APIC)" paragraph), then you can, in most cases, leave the ACPI mode installed. Especially new mainboards usually support ACPI very well. ACPI is required on systems using the Intel Hyperthreading technology."

So either you chose to ignore that or you just googled for "ACPI issues" and posted what came up first.

In future, instead of arguing a limited case based on hearsay and ill researched information, try and listen. You might actually learn a thing or two :)

Cheers,

Mezkal

PS : Please stop throwing in red herrings like Giga Studio. It's hard a standard app when compared with a game. It's a sampler for PC that basically emulates the way the classic MPC's worked. The reasons why some ppl might want to disable ACPI is purely for stability on Windows 2000. Check the latest updates for it. LOL

Last edited:

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
but you dont seem to realise, i know where your comming from and it can prove to be more efficient to use ACPI in most cases, but Sound Blaster Lives are old now and they REALLY dont like sharing irq's or anything, and the situation is made worse if the machine is overclocked.

but i spose its down to the guy with the problem to try things out ;)

OP
G

Gandalf68

refraction said:
...but i spose its down to the guy with the problem to try things out ;)

You're right :)

And now, i'm a little confused :(
You both have good arguments, but i'm not experienced enough to make that kind of changes in my machine !

I'm afraid to do something wrong and don't be able to go back afterwards !

Anyway : i strongly apreciate your help so far in my case :)

(PS : I checked my IRQ section, and i have A LOT of shared IRQ ! : Sound card with Ethernet Link card, USB Universal Host Controller with Ultra ATA Storage Controller and Radeon 9600 with 2 USB Universal Host Controllers !)

I wish i could show you the screenshot i took, but i don't know how to insert a picture on my message :(

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
try putting your sound blaster in different slots, i think its the 2nd one down and 2nd from bottom, something like that, but they are suppose to have an irq of their own, but have a play and see if that helps at all.

mezkal

Man on a mission
Overclocking doesn't affect my machines resources whatsoever as my Busses are locked at standard PCI speeds. Most modern motherboards have this feature.

Phreaky

Phreaky Shat
Anyone find the sounds for the bios dont sound right? they sound too flat and mono :/

Maybe its just me.

(Audigy 2 here)

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Phreaky said:
Anyone find the sounds for the bios dont sound right? they sound too flat and mono :/

Maybe its just me.

(Audigy 2 here)

Edit: sorry thought you meant the pc one there, the convo kinda went off topic!!

i havent experienced it myself really.. it seems ok, maybe its how you have your speakers set up? or you have a 3dsound button on them, that seems to kill Stereo sound a bit.

Last edited: