What's new

Somw problems/concerns with PSX SPU plugins

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
I currently use Eternal SPU 1.41 for my sound plugin with SPUAsync on. It's good and all, but the only problem, IMO, is the sound filtering is only simple interpolation. With Pete's DSound Plugin 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc. they have switchable interpolation modes (Simple, Gaussian, and Cubic Spline), but SPUAsync doesn't work with that plugin, regardless of the fact the ePSXe supports SPUAsync. Do you find that a little odd? I sure do. What the crap's up with that, anyway?? Don't they have a build of Eternal SPU plugin that has Guassian Interpolation?

Allnatural

dragon_rider said:
With Pete's DSound Plugin 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc. they have switchable interpolation modes (Simple, Gaussian, and Cubic Spline), but SPUAsync doesn't work with that plugin, regardless of the fact the ePSXe supports SPUAsync. Do you find that a little odd?
ahem...

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
All of that's enabled, but it still sounds like crap. I'm telling you, Sound Sync doesn't work with PEOpS DSound Plugin does not work. I did what you showed me from the screenshot, but the sounds in FFVII's cursor sounds like Zsnes' FF cursor sound (no offense). I just wish the SPUAsync would acutually sync the sound! I'd like to use Eternal SPU 1.41, but again, no variable interpolation modes (at least this plugin's SPUAsync works IMO).

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
I'll rephrase that. Are there any SPU plugins with excellent reverb effects (like Eternal SPU plugins), variable interpolation filters, AND sound synching capabilities (like Eternal SPU), but isn't either Eternal SPU/PEoPs DSound Plugin?

Clements

Only a few decent PSX audio plugins exist. Eternal SPU sounds perfect for me anyway. I'm not convinced there would be an audible difference with interpolation, unless you could prove me wrong with WAV dumps.

Allnatural

dragon_rider said:
...but the sounds in FFVII's cursor sounds like Zsnes' FF cursor sound (no offense). I just wish the SPUAsync would acutually sync the sound!
I don't recall any problems with FF7, nor do I recall it needing async anyway. However, I've only emulated it, never played on a real PSX, so I wouldn't know either way.

I can say that MGS wouldn't work for me unless I used the peops plugin. I just couldn't get decent sound with Eternal.

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
I never officially stated that the Eternal SPU plugin waws bereft of audio interpolation, I just mentioned that it didn't have the type of interpolation that the real PSX had (Guassian); Eternal SPU only uses Linear Interpolation. It's okay, but I personally prefer Guassian, it'd make it sound that much closer to the real PSX audio IMO. That plugin (Eternal SPU) actually synchs the sound unlike PEoPS Dsound Plugin, for some weird obscure reason...