What's new

SnesDS

minkster

I was doing some google searches and found that there was an actual working snes emulator for the nintendo ds made by a guy named loopy (forum name). I've heard that a couple games run at full speed, while a lot of others have many graphic glitches and the compatibility is on the low side though. Has anyone happend to try it out? What do you guys think about it? :p
PS: Here is the homepage: http://home.utah.edu/~u0422123/snesDS/ and there has also been talk about it on emuboards too http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=22918

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
snesDS is based on snes advance for GBA (but it's even better). loopy and flubba are also known for their other emulators for GBA.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
What would be really amazing is a very minimal-power N64 emulator (meaning, gutting as much as possible and still making the games playable). That's probably a pretty big stretch though...

KaioShin

From what I know DS is only little stronger than N64 so it "could" be difficult to emulate a system on another system that is not 5 times faster :down:

OP
minkster

minkster

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that one. The DS, in my opinion is too weak to handle N64 graphics, but who knows. If someone had the time to port one over to see how it ran first hand would be pretty cool.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Well, the DS is a little more powerful than the N64. And random stuff can be gutted - like things such as fog, shadows, etc which may slow it down. Textures can also be shrank. Like I said, it is a very big stretch, but could be possible some day.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
minkster said:
Yeah, I'm not too sure about that one. The DS, in my opinion is too weak to handle N64 graphics, but who knows. If someone had the time to port one over to see how it ran first hand would be pretty cool.
The DS will have no problems running n64 games, I'm sure. It is, after all, basically a n64 with a little more power. It's able to run all games at 60 fps with special effects such as fog, as was advertised I think.

foogy

ps2 can't even play n64 games well, what in the hell makes you think that the lil' ds will?
there is no chance in hell you will ever see a working n64 emulator on the ds...

the ds isn't basically an n64, it just has a lot of the same games and the graphics are about the same...,but the hardware is completely different.

OP
minkster

minkster

Doomulation said:
The DS will have no problems running n64 games, I'm sure. It is, after all, basically a n64 with a little more power. It's able to run all games at 60 fps with special effects such as fog, as was advertised I think.

Where was this advertised? I'm very interested lol:p

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Doom you're a little too optimistic, and foogy you're far out the other way. The only reason the ps2 cannot run n64 emulation at full speed is because the emulator isn't optimized, or any way or shape complete. It has nothing to do with the hardware, that's capable of making it fly. But, just because the DS is fully capable of running a N64 game, remember that it also has to emulate the system - so it's like running twice the hardware at once. So, even though the DS can support advanced effects such as fog and lighting, it may have to be disabled to get the speed to actually be able to play the game. Not to mention the emulator would have to be optimized to hell to get it to perform well enough to run at playable speeds. If anything, we may just be able to boot a few N64 games on the DS just for kicks - speed just might not be an option.

ector

Emulator Developer
The DS will not be able to run N64 games. For one thing, it doesn't have enough RAM.

PSP on the other hand... that's stretching it but it could be possible.

MAD_BOY

weird guy
didn't everyone say the same about snes on gba?
so it might be possible, but you shouldn't expect it any time soon, it'll take quite a few years (i think) before someone figures out how to run it properly on the ds

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's flat out impossible. There'll be different hacks and work-arounds in the future.

zorbid

The DS has only 4 Mb of memory.

It takes 4 (or 8) Mb to emulate the N64 RAM + the memory footprint of the emulator... See the point?

Furthermore, there is no binary compatibility at all between the R4xxx family and the ARM family. To get half decent speed on such a processor (ARM9 at 67 MHz + ARM7 at 33MHz, remember a 200 MHz P II was a bare minimum to run Corn), you'd need a very hackish dynarec, and efficient dynarec eats a lot of RAM for it's complied code cache.

Nin_10_Dough

Snes on DS sounds pretty cool. It's nice to see someone took the time to try and properly port something.

I thought the DS was a little better than the n64, but it would have to be allot better to be able to emulate the n64. All this talk makes the DS sound quite weak. Are there some n64 games it couldn't run even if it was directly ported to the system without being "dumbed down" ?

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
For the most part, I don't think so. Some textures lose quality, and the memory would need to be managed differently, but the game would still be the same.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ShizZie said:
Doom you're a little too optimistic, and foogy you're far out the other way. The only reason the ps2 cannot run n64 emulation at full speed is because the emulator isn't optimized, or any way or shape complete. It has nothing to do with the hardware, that's capable of making it fly. But, just because the DS is fully capable of running a N64 game, remember that it also has to emulate the system - so it's like running twice the hardware at once. So, even though the DS can support advanced effects such as fog and lighting, it may have to be disabled to get the speed to actually be able to play the game. Not to mention the emulator would have to be optimized to hell to get it to perform well enough to run at playable speeds. If anything, we may just be able to boot a few N64 games on the DS just for kicks - speed just might not be an option.
Ah, I think I wrote an incorrect reply, as it seems to confuse others. Sorry about that. The DS cannot emulate the nintendo 64, but it can run n64 games, when ported to the DS system.
And when you think about that the real n64 ran 15-20 fps on most games, while the DS runs 60 fps, you can actually see that it's not really a weak system.