What's new

Sharing the emulators list for MAC users

spotanjo3

Let's sharing your emulator list for MAC users like me and anybody else. Only the LATEST version. And no Wine emulator for MAC unless you have to.

I already know about emulators for MAC:

Desmume the latest version (DS emulator)

SNES9X the latest version (SFC/SNES emulator)

Dolphin the latest version (Nintendo Game Cube and Wii emulator)

mGBA the latest version (Game Advance emulator)

Mupen64Plus the latest version (Nintendo 64 emulator)

Mame the latest version (MAME Arcade emulator)

Citra the latest version (3DS emulator)

PCSXR the latest version (PSX emulator)

PPSSPP the latest version (PSP emulator)

Play! the latest version (PS2 emulator)

We are looking for WonderSwan, Neo Geo Color Pocket and NES.

Last edited:

Shonumi

EmuTalk Member
I am not an OS X user, but I do have some recommendations. For WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and PSX, Mednafen is a pretty good choice if you can deal with the commandline or find a front-end. Mednafen also works pretty well for NES games. At this point, you honestly can't beat PPSSPP for PSP emulation. It's probably one of the slickest emulators out there too.

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

I am not an OS X user, but I do have some recommendations. For WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and PSX, Mednafen is a pretty good choice if you can deal with the commandline or find a front-end. Mednafen also works pretty well for NES games. At this point, you honestly can't beat PPSSPP for PSP emulation. It's probably one of the slickest emulators out there too.

I was a long time Windows user but now OS X user. I already knew about PPSSPP but nobody complied the latest version of PPSPP. I would learn how to do it but I do not want the tools on my MAC OS X at all. It would be mess or something. I am not crazy about Mednafen. I like to have each emulators of their own rather than Mednafen and Openemu.

Shonumi

EmuTalk Member
Well, if you don't care about HD resolutions, PSX emulation doesn't get any better than Mednafen in my opinion. It's probably more accurate than anything else out there, and it's updated more often than anything else too. I was never crazy about emulators that could do multiple systems as well, but Mednafen changed my opinion. I have searched quite a bit, and it keeps turning up as the best option for both WonderSwan emulation on Linux.

About PPSSPP, they provide builds for OS X. You just need to install SDL2; no need to compile it yourself -> http://build.ppsspp.org/?page/downloads#osx It's not like JPCSP is going to do it for you

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

Well, if you don't care about HD resolutions, PSX emulation doesn't get any better than Mednafen in my opinion. It's probably more accurate than anything else out there, and it's updated more often than anything else too. I was never crazy about emulators that could do multiple systems as well, but Mednafen changed my opinion. I have searched quite a bit, and it keeps turning up as the best option for both WonderSwan emulation on Linux.

About PPSSPP, they provide builds for OS X. You just need to install SDL2; no need to compile it yourself -> http://build.ppsspp.org/?page/downloads#osx It's not like JPCSP is going to do it for you

I already know about PPSSPP but it said 1.0 and the latest version is 1.0.1.

Shonumi

EmuTalk Member
Unless you need the fixes described here (https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/releases), there really isn't a great difference between 1.0 and 1.0.1. It's mostly minor bug-fixes, nothing major that would affect a majority of the games you'd play. I mean, I wouldn't let 1.0 stop me from enjoying PSP games on OS X. If it's there, why not use it?

V1del

There's pcsxr if you want an actively developed standalone PSX emulator, also includes Pete's OGL plugins for higher resolution stuff. And if this is suppposed to be a reference list on what is available it seems to be counterproductive to not include ppsspp on the sole basis that the absolute latest minor release doesn't have a build (Same with not including multi-system emulators).

Last edited:
OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

Thanks, Shonumi.

V1del, yeah, I found PCSXR online last night. I added it. Also there is PS2 emulator still in development called Play! and it is for MAC OS X too!!! :D

I will put up the Emulation64.com News about it now.

V1del

Forgot to mention it, but Nestopia Undead Edition is also actively developed and should work on OSX iirc

EDIT: Hmm doesn't seem to have a build and OSX support as such isn't mentioned anywhere, so sorry for that eventually misleading hint

Last edited: