What's new

Server problems (Emulation64.com server)

Martin

Administrator
I can't give you any details (to the public at least), but the server Emulation64.com and many of our hosted sites use, is down. For good. There are about 30 more or less active sites on the server. I can't tell you when the site will be back online, but as this happened right before christmas, I'm afraid it might take a while. Please note that it's only the physical server that's down for good, all sites will be back like they used to, only on a different server.

To the good news. The good news is that I just ordered 2 new servers with server4you.de to replace the old server with, they each have these specs:

AMD Sempron 3000+
2.048 MB DDR-RAM
2 x 160 GB harddrives
1500 GB bandwidth per month
Linux Fedora Core with Plesk 7

First 3 months free was the reason for getting two, I had to order them before christmas. ;)

Expect ~1 week until the sites are back online, server4you.de appearantly has tons of work to do at the moment because of this xmas special, but of course I'm working as fast as I can (I'm currently backing everything up)

JinXD

Best of luck getting the sites back up!! That's a f**k load of bandwidth, and there's two servers with that! :happy:

Knuckles

Well, it's good to hear that you are getting some new servers :)

I first thought when you said "the server Emulation64.com and many of our hosted sites use, is down. For good.There are about 30 more or less active sites on the server." that you were giving up hosting those..

too bad I'll have to wait for hosting of my PD maps.... unless you can make emutalk to access a 7MB attachement :p

Last edited:

evlcookie

As long as emu64 comes back, take as long as you need ;) . And good luck with it, im sure your having alot of fun setting the servers up and so on *cough*.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Everything has been backed up and is now being transfered from the Emulation64.com server to the other server for storage. Hopefully we won't experience that much downtime after all, I might be able to keep the old server online for a few days, but no promises. :p

Currently, the server's online and I'll keep it online as long as I can.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
rofl i knew you'd say that. :p

Some good news: One of the servers has been setup, and I'm currently installing & securing it and once that's done, we'll see if my backups from the Emulation64.com server (fozzie) can be of any use. ;)

Once that's done, the next step is to change the DNS entries for the domain Emulation64.com so the nameservers will be directed to the new server.

More good news (for EU people): I'm getting an average ping of 36ms to the server, and falcon4ever and vampireuk get 29ms. wraggster gets an amazing 24ms :)

Even more good news: The server twins - will of course - be named mary-kate and ashley (olsen twins) :p

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Oi! Sorry for the recent hickups, it's not related to above, but to a phpBB worm that's spread faster than warez at a LAN.

We've upgraded our server's software and should now be protected against the worms, however, if you run a hosted site and have a forum board installed, such as phpBB, Invision Board, YaBB etc, please upgrade to the latest version. Better to be extra safe than just safe. :p

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
*Shakes head in despair...*
Okay own up, who brought the server down with their intense pr0n searching this time? ;) :santa:

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
A little side note: Sites using perl will notice it's not functioning on ramboo (nathell.com server), I'm working on resolving it now.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Fixed. Everything should work dandy on both servers now. :p

Now gimme pizza!

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
The transfer from the old server (fozzie) to the new server (ashley) has now been completed, and most of you should resolve to the new server by now. :)

ping -t www.emulation64.com should give you the ip 62.75.221.236

There might have been some downtime for some of you, due to the resolving, but not much. :)

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Emutalk is being moved from this server to the new server (ashley) so some posts will be lost, but I expect the move to be done in about 3 hours. Emutalk has been backed up and the files are currently being moved.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Sorry about that, took a bit longer than expected to move the database backup due to the first backup having errors. And, it takes a while to transfer about 4 GB from a US server to an EU one.

However, now the database has been moved and the site should resolve to the new server for everyone shortly (if it isn't already). The database being used is the same on both servers (it's the one on the new server) so no posts will be lost. Ugh 8am, better catch some sleep...