What's new

(search solution) FPS locked on Zelda OoT

Mimyl

Hi,

First, I want to apologize if my English is bad. I'm french, and I'll try to do my best!
I'm new on this forum.
So, I search how to unlock the really bad framerate of Zelda Oot (only 17 FPS on the Eu version). I found some subject about memory management or other things but I don't found any solution.

Do you know if it's possible to change this or no? I heard about decompressing rom and change something about the framerate.

Did I really play Zelda with only 17 FPS on my Nintendo64 when I was young???!

Thanks by advance for your reply!

Bye :)

mendus

The EU version of Zelda was intended to be played at 17 FPS and plays so in a real N64. The U and J versions run at 20 FPS.

I don't know if there is any hack that allows you to play at a higher framerate, but it is not a trivial thing to make one.

OP
M

Mimyl

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I search, again and again, I can't found anything.... I found how to incrase FPS on some emulator, but, when FPS incrase, the game speed up too.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Unless you code the game from cratch or at least have access to original source code, it's impossible to change the internal speed at which a given game runs. It is something that is decided by developers. Stuff like animations and event triggers can adhere quite rigidly to the internal speed of the game. Finding a way to actually change the internal speed of a game may completely destroy it. This can be escpecially the case with console games.

Unlocking the frame-rate on an emulator only speeds up the VI/s, not the internal speed of the game.

Last edited:

wareya

I'm currently working on a 17->20 FPS conversion for Majora's Mask PAL. My progress is very slow, but basically the last thing I have left to do is fix the tempo control. The PAL version has everything slowed down 20%, but fixing it to run at 20FPS makes all music and music-like stuff run too fast. Pitch is unaffected, since that's handled properly.

(For the record, the list of things to fix for 17->20 Zelda 64: Region code, number of samples to ask the microcode for each frame (this is hardcoded, there's a "50" somewhere in assembly that needs to be changed to a 60), tempo controller. Easy, except finding whatever thing it is that constitutes "tempo controller".)

You don't get an N64 version of Zelda 64 running higher than 20FPS without speeding the game up. There are frameskip modifiers that I found, but they subtly break physics, animations, and ingame timers in very many places. Play the 3DS versions if you want 30fps gameplay, because they already fixed all of these problems.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mimyl

Hi,

Thanks again for your replies. I will stay like this at the moment. I hope someone found something about that later.

Bye

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
I've only found and had working one FPS unlock code so far for N64 emulation. Unfortunately, these FPS unlock cheat hacks causes problems more often than not in the gameplay. But for Banjoo Kazooie, it seems to work quite well.

OP
M

Mimyl

Yes, I see that, but it's on Android, and only for BK. I need to ask Nintendo directly, I'm sure they knows how to do this! :lol:
Seriously, it's to bad that we can only play OOT at 20 FPS max, no? I keep searching for a solution, and I hope I will find this :)

According to the post "Zelda64 framerate convertion" (on this forum's section) It's possible to increase FPS without increase the animation's speed etc...

But, I don't really understand what we need to do. May I ask a tutorial to do this?

Last edited:

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The FPS Unlock code for Banjo Kazooie will work with any N64 emulator with cheat support. I actually got the code from an old post for Project 64 cheats. Unfortunately, it's the only code I've found so far that has worked for any game.

OP
M

Mimyl

I found it for 30FPS!!!!! This code work on my project 64 1.6 release : 800D461F 0002

But I have a problem with my sword now, I can't use magic with my sword. I keep searching.

Thanks to you fivefeet, it's because of you. I found for BK, try this code and it work.

Last edited:

marcelo_20xx

There is no practical solution to OoT FPS increase. I wonder with the amount of research spinout, hyperhacker, XDaniel and other folks did, how is that the game code section wasn't reverse engineered already, as this would have us allowed to manipulate freely the internal speed, timers and so on. Heck there is already a way to insert custom models to replace actors or the Link model. I found a mod that replaces Link with the OoT 3DS model...