What's new

ROM Compression!?

frequent

Hi, i have a little quest about N64 Roms and its compression.
I`ve extractet Jpgs from Zelda 64 with a proggie that you
find on dextrose. Now my main question, how are roms compressed??
When i open a rom with a HexEditor i can`t find any filenames or
file header, like Riff (wave) or JFIF (jpeg). Thats all things that i not
really understand, i belive there is a hidden "compresions feature" in a rom.
I dont belife that each n64 rom uses a different fileformat. When yes, why?

Anyone Knows a answer?? Is it zlib? :)

Edit: What is "yaz0" ??? ?
Greets Denis :D

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Many roms uses special encoding to, well, I guess, keep it from being emulated or hacked or such things. The games can decompress such things as this on-the-fly, if need be. Might be compression, I'm afraid, and there's lots of compression/encryption out there.

OP
frequent

frequent

Thanx. Im wondering, how mario 64 can be 8 Mb :) Thats crazy for me, so many levlels and so many gfx and sfx :) Its the art of Nintendo to make games. Ok (sry for bad english), i think the n64 has max 64MB of game space who can loaded. Now game devolopers has to made some advanced compression features, so i think :) Im very stupid in english :( Greets Denis

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well...the n64 has rather low polygon count rate. And the fact is, that the n64 games aren't THAT advanced. And to concider that mario64 was the first game to be released. Zelda, is 32 mb. That's an average game, isn't it? Some games use JPEG compression (ie zelda) to fit things into space, and some doesn't.

Then there's cbfd, which takes a whopping 64 mb!
Mostly, I think, there are movies on the, say, ps that actually sucks up all the space. Or that the developers are sloppy when there's so much space available for them.

But so I guess that some games can use compression for some data. It's common, and it's always been done, even for the SNES.