What's new

Ripping sprites from ROMs

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Ok, I need to know this (well not need but want to know). How the heck do you rip sprites from SNES or NES ROMs. And also, what's a good app to make animated gifs?

Allnatural

I just take sequential screenshots myself, then assemble them in Fireworks. Certain emulators can simplify things. For instance, ZSNES can remove background layers and take frame-by-frame screenshots, both of which make the process much easier.

OP
P

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Allnatural said:
ZSNES can remove background layers and take frame-by-frame screenshots, both of which make the process much easier.

Where the heck is this feature in ZSNES?

Allnatural

posty_2k3 said:
Where the heck is this feature in ZSNES?
You can assign hotkeys to remove the BG layers via the "misc\game keys" menu. For incremental screenshots press F1.

Steveman610

Fireworks comes with the Macromedia Studio. Costs about few 100 bucks. But I think you can buy it alone too, but i dont know what price. Its good though :)

Remote

Check Macromedia's homepage for a trial version, not sure about their current stand but previously most trial version weren't crippled. So, try it and if you like it - buy it. :D

OP
P

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Well, what does Fireworks do? I don't want to download a trial or buy it without know what the heck it is.

Allnatural

posty_2k3 said:
Well, what does Fireworks do? I don't want to download a trial or buy it without know what the heck it is.
A simple search would have answered your question. There are plenty of programs that can produce animated gifs, some undoubtedly freeware, but I find Fireworks to be the easiest (for me). Not to mention its other uses.

Last edited: