What's new

Rice's Plugin Source <discussion>

Cyberman

Wait you are letting Reality interfere with your emulation programming!? oh my. LOL.
Ahem :)

It's cool so you are repacking the images? You are considerning just PNG and JPG right (no indexed BMP's). That should work fine for my plans.

Cyb

mudlord

Banned
Wait you are letting Reality interfere with your emulation programming!? oh my. LOL.

Mmmhm. Its a travesty, I know. Proves the point though that people have real life jobs, university, or other personal commitments besides working on thier hobbies :p.

Well, currently, I am making the code use only JPG and PNG, so that means BMP's are being recompressed into PNG, which of course is lossless. Which means, all debugger dumped images too will also be in RGBA PNG.

I have also started to add preliminary support for 8x texture resizing. Currently on my 256MB Radeon X1650 Pro, it works extremely well, though I didnt do any more testing besides on SM64 though.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Back,

I uploaded 6.1.3.1 which includes 8x and 16x texture rescaling.

Sorry for not being on here lately to give progress reports.

ggab

Emutalk Member
hi mudlord,

did you post something HERE, related to the 4bit CI texture's bug in original Rice's plugin source as Gonetz posted on emuxhaven?

Gonetz's quote:
Marvelous thing I just discovered.
There is a bug in RiceVideo, in palette CRC calculation. In brief – a wrong palette is taken for CRC. As the result - a wrong CRC. Since all texture designers used that CRC, I have to emulate this bug to make texture loading. Marvelous.

-

An explanation of the situation with palette CRC bug in RiceVideo:
The bug affects only 4bit CI textures. When “Full TMEM emulation” option is off, RiceVideo takes wrong, I even can say random, palette to calculate CRC. The consequences can be very bad. CRC becomes content-dependent. That is, the same texture can get different CRC in different situations. Besides, if RiceVideo was used in “Full TMEM emulation off” mode to dump textures, created pack will not work when this option is on, and vice versa.
There is no easy way to fix it. That is, the bug itself is easy to fix, I can point on exact places in the code. However, to fix existing texture packs it is necessary to use the fixed version to dump all textures again, and rename created hires textures using correct CRC. This hardly will be done.
The only thing, which can be done – warn all texture designers not to set full tmem emulation off when dumping textures.
As for GlideHQ, I’m trying to reproduce that behavior in my code and I’m partially succeeded. However, some packs still not work. Probably, it’s not the only rake hidden in RiceVideo code.

My comment:
i hope all the N64 community adopt the best solution found to solve the 4bit CI texture's bug :)
Gonetz's suggestion of "set full tmem emulation ON when dumping textures" seems to be a great idea, anyway...

Thanks!

Edit:

there is a big problem with the re dumping textures scenario...

Question: Is there an option to dump all the textures from the ROM, and not just the ones that are loaded?
Answer: No, not unless you hack the ROM. You must play through the game to dump the textures. There is no other way to do so unless you hack into the ROM. That's about it.
~Cyberman~

i've forgot you need that!!!!!

what to do???? :S

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
hi mudlord,

did you post something HERE, related to the 4bit CI texture's bug in original Rice's plugin source as Gonetz posted on emuxhaven?

No.

All I posted was that CI BMPs are the only real needed format for BMP support, since PNG handles everything else.

My comment:
i hope all the N64 community adopt the best solution found to solve the 4bit CI texture's bug
Gonetz's suggestion of "set full tmem emulation ON when dumping textures" seems to be a great idea, anyway...

Thanks!

Well, this bug should be stamped out imo. Though its a worry that complete texture packs have to be redone for this one bug.

That is, the bug itself is easy to fix, I can point on exact places in the code.

That would help me out a lot if Gonetz can show me whats wrong, since he knows exactly where the errors are and what to fix. That way, since he's solution, which seems logical, can be added, if its the right thing to do, given the current situation.

Cool, in my docs I will note it down, if he wants to just this solution.

mudlord

Banned
Sorry for the long absence..been in hospital mainly, due to a Series of Unfortunate Events(tm).

Unfortunately, I need to have more blood & pathological tests tomorrow than I had today, so I dunno how long I'll be away. And on top of that, I have a lot of university work to do also when I am feeling better (luckily, I made special arrangements with CSU, so that university work won't be affected by my absence due to medical reasons).

Anywayz....

So has anyone started a 8x/16x texture pack yet.....?

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yep, a talented texture artist has already started with a 8x/16x pack. You'll need quite a beefy PC to run it though. :bouncy:

diamond_rust

Diamond_Rust
That totally blows chunks about the medical situation. :-(
With any luck there'll be a revolution in optical and/or quantum
computing sometime soon. That'd give medical research a huge leap
in computing power.

Whoops, getting off the subject a bit.

Totally awesome about the suped-up tex's.
Hopefully either my OC'ed GeForce Go 7900GS or 8600GTS can handle
it; I can't imagine how Zelda OOT with 16x textures would look on my
50in HDTV at 1920x1080............Yowza !!!!

Cyberman

Yuck mudlord get healthy fast.

As for HR texture packs using 8x and 16x .. that should be in a different thread and likely in the HR TP forum (sub forum under 1964).

Cyb

mudlord

Banned
As for HR texture packs using 8x and 16x .. that should be in a different thread and likely in the HR TP forum (sub forum under 1964).

Yep,though I do honestly now see the need for a seperate HR texture forum, since Jabo's and Gonetz's plugins support HR textures.....