What's new

Rice's Daedalus Plugin 4.4.0

Rice

Emulator Developer
I believe everyone should be very happy with this new release.

DirectX:
- Complete New DirectX combiner for Nvidia TNT/TNT2/Geforce2/3/4, result should be much better, comparable to Opengl nvidia extension
- A big combiner bug fix for all non-nvidia video cards (missing one combiner stage)

OpenGL:
- Bug fixes for Nvidia TNT/TNT2 combiner, now this opengl combiner is almost as good as nvidia register combiner for geforce cards. All nvidia users should be very happy to try this new one even your video card is better than TNT/TNT2
- big bug fixes for OpenGL 1.2/1.3/1.4 combiner, and now also support ATI texture_env_combine3, all other video cards (including nvidia ones) should get much better result with this new combiner.
- Sprite 2D / ZeldaBG ucode supports for opengl

PS:
You usually don't need to change configuration, the default SHOULD work just fine for you if you have correct driver installed. Only switch the options if you have problems with certain games, or if you would like to see difference results from different combiners.

PS2:
I have posted groups of shots for different combiners available from this plugin, for both opengl and directx. In general, DirectX is faster and Opengl graphics quality is better.
You should understand what's your video card and what kind of quality you should expect to get from the shots. If you don't get the image quality you should get, check your video card driver and update it.

PS3:
Full screen does not work. It has been broken for long time.

Rice

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nice work, Rice. In opengl, the images are still a little edgy. The "start text" in oot is still not right. As to that, directx doesn't work at all. Whatever the settings, it always looks like the pic below, or if triple buffer discard is selected, screen is always black.

Also, it's kindof slow. A little slower than jabo's if you wish to know.

Slougi

Clements said:
This is a rediculously minor thing, but its worth pointing out as other plugins have no probs with it- Mario's nose has a white polygon on it. This has been there with all the versions of your plugin I have tried.
Tr64ogl seems to have the same problem (at least on linux). I can't quite remember if it is there on Windows as well.

Trotterwatch

This is an amazing plugin - the visual quality is amazing. Just been playing Mario Kart @1600x1200 at a stunning speed with Frame Limiter off with 0 slowdowns or stutters.

I also tested both Mario and Banjo Kazooie on:

P4 2ghz
512mb ram
Radeon 8500 128mb

Using DX 8.1 renderer at default settings, and 3D Analyse set to Emulate HW T&L Caps.

I also just tested Mario Kart at 1024x768 with:
16x Ansio filtering (forced)
6x Smoothvision (forced - quality setting)

Although the framerate was lower, it was still very playable and smooth (seemed to run as it usually does).

VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!!

The OpenGL renderer on the other hand doesn't display anything for me - will try to see if I can find a fix.

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Slougi said:
Tr64ogl seems to have the same problem (at least on linux). I can't quite remember if it is there on Windows as well.

I don't have this problem.

fweak

radeon

yo wassup rice

i beleive in your plugin and i want it to work for my radeon 7500

i have read the posts and saw the opengl modifications for ati and now it works better but the thing WONT go full screen neither with pj64 and 1964, and using the dx setup , i have the eternal z buffer trouble
thank you

ive been fucking around all the week and just Jabo's plugin and the glide emulated "sh1t" will give me results.. keep working on i like daedlus :)~

i have a good damn machine - p4 2.8 / 512mb

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
It won't go full screen, the feature has been broken for long time.

I believe other guys have figured out a solution for the DirectX zbuffer problem with Radeon. Check other posts for the solution.

If you can, please post a few shots for opengl with your Radeon. I would like to see how good or how bad opengl works on Radeon.

Trotterwatch

To fix the D3D issue with the Radeon go here:

http://www.tommti-systems.de/start.html

And download 3D Analyse, and set it up to Emulate D3D HW T&L Caps.

Now play without the Z Buffer issues.

If you need help in setting up 3D Analyse then post a new thread about it in Tech Talk, and I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

fweak

well i cant find the hardware/software T&L selection and ive tried to change de w buffer settings and others 3d related settings 1 by 1 but nothin to fix the weird-polygon thing

ill post kick ass shot soon

fweak

tadam, you got an ati? get 3d analyzer

it worked fine for me and i think i can now fully enjoy de daedlus dx plugin ... it works #1 with mario kart wish it will with the others

thanks guys your help is well appreciated , i have been searching heavily for that >:]

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Couple odd issues for me.

If I select anything but low, medium, or high end video card on the "Combiner type" all I get is lots of white like this on my GF4.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
When I do have the "Combiner type" set to low, medium, or high it looks pretty darn good except things like this which seem to get hidden by backgrounds in games. Is there something I could check either on the plugin or my system to correct this?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Here are the settings I was using on that last shot. I would just use the OpenGL renderer, but when it's on I get flickering shadows and lots of lines through textures. D3D is much better for me with this plugin.

LazerTag said:
When I do have the "Combiner type" set to low, medium, or high it looks pretty darn good except things like this which seem to get hidden by backgrounds in games. Is there something I could check either on the plugin or my system to correct this?

I think this looks like a great special effect! Maybe someone should create a plugin which gives the game whole new effects!