What's new

Replacing an XBOX DVD Drive

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
So I happened into an XBOX, free.

It came with KotOR, KotOR II, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Fable. Plus the hookups and one Controler S. My buddy didn't use it, and he said it wasn't playing a game he had.

I took it considering it was playing KotOR and KotOR II, and I figured I can probably fix it.

So I pop in Jade Empire, and of course what pops up, XBOX Cannot Recognize this Disc.

No big deal, I hop online, do a little searching, I was right, its the DVD ROM. No big deal I figured, so I got on Ebay and ordered a brand new Thomson XBOX DVD ROM, comes with a warranty, I probably should have sprung for the Phillips or the Samsung drive, but for right now, this one will be fine.

My question is, has anyone else ever replaced the DVD in their XBOX? Is it any harder then doing it in a PC? I figure I shouldn't have much problem with it, but I just want the input from someone who's actually done it before.:huh:

jdsony

I've never replaced the drive but I've been inside and taken everything apart and unhooked the drive it's as easy to do as a PC drive. There are I believe 6 screws underneath the Xbox one under each rubber foot and one under each of the stickers in the top center and bottom center. Once open you just unplug the IDE cable and unplug the power connector and then just switch and voila. I can't remember but I don't think there are any screws holding in the drive at all.

The Screws are all the Torque screws by the way.