What's new

Recovering a very dark image?

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Let's say i have, uhm, a very very dark image taken with a very very bad camera...

Is there anything that can be done to recover some color or detail from it?

btw, here's the the photo:

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
NeTo said:
Let's say i have, uhm, a very very dark image taken with a very very bad camera...

Is there anything that can be done to recover some color or detail from it?

btw, here's the the photo:

Possibly, let me play a bit in Photoshop. A little leveling/contrasting might do the trick.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Eagle said:
Possibly, let me play a bit in Photoshop. A little leveling/contrasting might do the trick.

I'm afraid I couldnt help it, its just too dark. Leveling is a tricky procedure though and I am by no means an expert at it. Maybe somebody else can help.

the problem with black is that its the absence of light.. and as such it carries no detail that could be enhanced.. you can change the black colour but you wont get to the detail behind it when the image was taken

OP
NeTo

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
sytaylor said:
the problem with black is that its the absence of light.. and as such it carries no detail that could be enhanced.. you can change the black colour but you wont get to the detail behind it when the image was taken

I was thinking that also, probably the details aren't even present in the original shot.

Thanx Eagle for your efforts. I tried to do some layer stuff in psp (what i usally do when trying to fix dark images), but i got no results. I was thinking in recoloring some noticeable parts to make it look a bit better, like the river that can be seen (?) in the mid down area of the photo. But that's too much work for a picture that is not even mine :p

OP
NeTo

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Eagle said:
I'm betting he isnt able to take the picture again.

You're right there. The picture was taken on a mountain trip, that probably will not be repeated again. I think the only thing that can be concleded is to take a better camera next time :whistling

khanmeister

Banned
NeTo said:
You're right there. The picture was taken on a mountain trip, that probably will not be repeated again. I think the only thing that can be concleded is to take a better camera next time :whistling

Turning the contrast WAY up reveals that there is just no information captured in the original photo......

Sorry dude... Some dark pictures you can tweak, giving a "ghostly appearance", but this one was unsalvageable.

OP
NeTo

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Al least it seems that the thing at the bottom was actually a river lol.

I gave some bad news to someone today...

Just as khanmeister said, i had a similar photo with the same problem. In that picture it was easy to notice that the eyes were completely gone: there were constant black holes in the faces :happy: .

Last edited: