What's new

Random Freezes - really annoying!

GCFreak

My Computer started freezing randomly at spontaneous times today. I can't find the problem. I tried updating my forceware, Installing the Detonator drivers, Even reinstalling windows, and nothing worked.

Please help, I am losing alot of important work over this and I just am in a twist right now. ANY Sort of help is appreciated.

By the way, my specs are:

AMD Athlon, 700MHz Slot A
ASUS K7V-T
Winfast GeForce2 MX 100/200 AGP4X (Updated to the latest forceware)
FM801 PCI Audio.
Windows 98 Second Edition
Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC
230W Power Supply
128MB SD-RAM

Miretank

Lurking
defrag your HDD, clean the registry...
also keep track of energy too. lack of energy may make your pc act strange.

OP
G

GCFreak

My Processor has a HUGE Cooler on it, and it stay at 27*C on Idle and everything, And my machine is always set to scan for spyware and malware and such at 12:30pm everyday.
Also my pc's hard-drive has bad-sectors that might be why. I will see if I can get a better power supply for it because maybe it is degrading.

But the bad-sectors might actually not be the problem. my 5GB Only has 4K of bad sectors on it :p

Last edited:

WhiteX

i´d go for bad sectors, i´ve nerver, ever saw a machine behave properly with a bad sector on it´s HD.

smcd

You might also want to thoroughly clean your case out (ensure the connections are dust free) and make sure all peripherals (pci, agp, etc) and RAM are connected firmly/properly.

OP
G

GCFreak

OK I'll try that. Thanks.

Bad-sectors: I'm thinking about buying a Brand new 20GB HDD so I can try and fire up XP on it.